Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick update, I will post pics tomorrow if time allows.

The Bottom End of the motor is back together with new bearings installed, New oil and water pumps are installed, Removed the Injection pump, Vacuum and power steering pumps, as well as the starter (getting rebuilt) Removed the oil cooler and the side covers. The Turbo will be removed tomorrow. I have decided that I am not going to pull the head, just reseal everything else and put it back together.

Hope to get some more work done on it tomorrow but I have been busy with the car lot,..You know "work" Stuff,...

Later,..

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just found this... nice to see it coming along. i am surpised there wasnt more damage considering how knocky that little motor was....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
just found this... nice to see it coming along. i am surpised there wasnt more damage considering how knocky that little motor was....

Thanks Corey, I drove the doner truck:eek: to a Cummins Mechanic about 1/4 mile from my shop, and he rally could not decide if there was a problem cause these motors are pretty noisy. Turns out there was, so I am glad I tore into it!

Any progress Darrin?
I pulled the motor out of Droopy last Saturday and got it sold. This is the first time really looking at where the Cummins will sit and it appears that the 4bt will bolt right in.

The motor itself is coming along well, I need a few things like oil feed line for the bigger turbo, looking at a set of POD injectors on ebay, and need to do the pump mods. Once I get these parts it will be about 1/2 of a day to finish up the motor and get it painted.

So the progress is slow but were making some progress.

Thanks!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
looks like the equalizer cables on your lift cylinders need to be adjusted or replaced.

All of the cables are inside the blue lift post and cant be seen in the pics, I think what you are seeing is the hydraulic lines, air lines, and electrical cords that are dropped from the ceiling.

This lift was just uninstalled to pour new concrete underneath and reinstalled on Wednesday by the lift equipment company, so its all good!

On Edit, I see now that you may be saying because the truck has a little tilt to it,..? Ill have to check into that,,..Thanks! IT may be just the angle of the pic.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Motor going back together, I got the Turbo installed Yesterday, got the oil drain tube rebent and hooked up, Having a new oil feed line made up, should be done tomorrow:

You must be registered for see images

New thermostat, water pump and oil Pump installed:

I ordered a Power Pin and 3200 Gov Spring on Monday, Should get those soon and will install them, then get the pump's back on this side of the motor and reseal the front.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I also pulled the injectors and having them tested, along with some 6bt injectors to make sure that I have some good ones to install, Performance Injectors will have to wait for a later date.

Running into a problem,

With this turbo the inlet will be in the way of the oil filter:

So is there a oil filter relocation kit that works on the Cummins? or what are my options at this point?

I have an Amsoil Bypass system on my 89, but don't want to spend that much money on this setup yet, just want to get the oil filter out of the way.

Last edited: