Fuel Filter,
Tried different fuel,
Used a probe to check all power and grounds to PCM/relays,
removed and cleaned IPR valve + checked o-rings,
UVC harness less than 1yr old,
wiring harness is less than 1 yr old,
glow plugs are less than 1 yr old,
replaced lift pump.

Truck will still not stay started after it has been warmed up to normal operating temp. it tries and sometimes will, but it will very quickly shut off after it has started. as if something is shutting it down. at my wits end here don't know what else to do, running out of stuff to replace. any suggestions??????

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop the fuel filter out and see what color the fuel is inside the housing.it should be clear.if not you most likely need injector orings.but sounds like thats what you need anyways.when cold will it stay running till it warms up?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Make sure it is not the ignition switch in the column, my buddy had a similar issue on a 96 PSD and it was just the key switch wiggling in the column.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
-i cannot get the hpop plug out ive broken several tools trying and i dont want to round out the square hole any more.
-I have codes for it ill have to get them posted later today i dont have them right now.
-the fuel in the bowl is clear as when it comes out the pump.
-the ignition key though, sounds like it could maybe be an issue. i just had the whole steering column replace last year and got a new ignition. but how would it be so consistent in shutting off when getting warm?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if ya cant get te plug out , you can also remove the pressure sending unit to look in to the hpop res.
gotta be something simple.
have you tried another IDM, Ive seen them do some stupid stuff.

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your wiring connections and probed them looking for breaks? A few years back my toyota would just die for no reason driving down the road. Pulled the tank and fuel pump and just for the heck of it i hooked it up to the battery and it worked fine... Was quite puzzled put everything back in and fired up ran for a few min and died. This time i couldent hear the fuel pump so i got the meter out and found a broken wire in the connection under the seat. Looked fine but was broken under the insulation.. you could have a problem when when one of the wires is heating up its loosing connection

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
ya im goint to try pulling the sensor next, im really hoping its not the IDM cus that **** is way pricey. but i did go throught the wiring with the probe and it definitly had all the power and grounds it should have. the engine wiring harness is new but that is a good idea to check the other wiring stuff. ill do that as soon as the rain stops. ill get those code posted here soon maybe that will help. thanks everyone!

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
ya im goint to try pulling the sensor next, im really hoping its not the IDM cus that **** is way pricey. but i did go throught the wiring with the probe and it definitly had all the power and grounds it should have. the engine wiring harness is new but that is a good idea to check the other wiring stuff. ill do that as soon as the rain stops. ill get those code posted here soon maybe that will help. thanks everyone!

go on e-bay for an idm. found a company that remans them out of florida. I think the name was autocomputer exchange .com bought one for $225 with a life time warranty. my old one filled up with water.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
is their a way to actually check the IDM for damage?? I cant afford to change anymore parts on a hunch. I will check out the site though, just in case.

-Checked HPOP oil level and its full to the top 100%.
- I have noticed that the oil on the dip stick does have alot of bubbles, a symptom or am I reaching for straws???

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
need a scanner. or just pull it off the fender and shake it. it's not scientific, but you'll know if it is full of water. happens to alot of them because of where it's mounted. water is not kind to electronics.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
i had the scanner put on it and never got anything about the IDM that im aware of.
i can see water being an issue but its been blazin hot here all summer and i did remove the IDM when I pulled the PCM and it didnt sound like it has any liquids in it. anything else out there to test that thing??

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
these are the codes from when i first had it scanned. I had all related things replaced plus some other crap (see thread starter). Except CPS. It is less than a year old.

PO113 intake air temp high
PO605 internal pcm fault
PO236 boost sensor high (chip sets this)
PO340 cam sensor malfunction
P1211 icp out of range )chip also sets)

New codes pulled a few days ago.
PO113 IAT sensor , replaced when I pulled code.
P1276
P1278
KOER Codes
PO476
PO196

Any Ideas???????cookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. This is the kind of stuff that makes me love my IDI's so badly, and fear my only PSD.