dont know whats left to do.....

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
I don't think any codes will pop up for the IDM. the way I found out mine was done for, was to do an injector buzz test. when nothing buzzed I figured it was that.

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
have you checked to see if the HPOP is building enough pressure to fire the injectors after it's warmed up?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The codes are leaning to a brain short. Plus one IDM code. But that could be from the brain short. When you have many codes show up at once it means the PCM is going or gone. The problem could be water on the brain. Lose or faulty chip if you have one.Or somthing inside said I quit.

The best way to test the PCM is to swap it with a known good PCM.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
the bottom set of codes came from the pcm within hours of me installing the new one...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
the bottom set of codes came from the pcm within hours of me installing the new one...

Now that's an odd one. Normally those code will leave with the old PCM.

Here is the big question. Are the first codes still coming up? That is what I'm assuming. If they are gone you have another place to check. Code P1277 is the number 7 injector open high or low. P1278 is the number 8 injector open high or low. Time to break out the trusty ohm meter. I will need to check the trusty Powertrain Control manual to give out the ohm and pin specs. I'm getting old I can't remember that stuff.:eek::rotflmao

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
Now that's an odd one. Normally those code will leave with the old PCM.

Here is the big question. Are the first codes still coming up? That is what I'm assuming. If they are gone you have another place to check. Code P1277 is the number 7 injector open high or low. P1278 is the number 8 injector open high or low. Time to break out the trusty ohm meter. I will need to check the trusty Powertrain Control manual to give out the ohm and pin specs. I'm getting old I can't remember that stuff.:eek::rotflmao

the codes on top were gone except for the AIT sensor code, which i just installed a new one. the other codes came up after i forced the truck to do what i have been having problems with. i idled the truck to 1700rpm till engine got to normal road speed temp. than shut it off and tried to restart, it would start than stop and that happened a few times till i got it to start than just mashed on the throttle and than the check engine light came on and it died. i scanned it right after that and got those codes. i think im going to change out the CPS just to rule that out of the equation. I did erase those codes and have not had the come up since that time, plus those codes never came up during the initial two times i had er' scanned at ford. let me know what you find about the ohms thing for the injectors. thanks!

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
Installed a new CPS yesterday just to make sure it was not the problem and like everything else Ive done it didn't work. still doing the same ol crap.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What you need to check is the #7 and 8 injector pins. You should have 5 ohms. If it comes up as a short check the injectors first.If they check out good. (most likely they will).Then work your way back to the IDM. This will tell you if the IDM or the injectors are the problem children.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
after replacing the CPS the truck will no longer start. unless it has as least 2K in throttle. than if you let off it immediately dies. and to top it off the key got stuck in the ignition so i just finished replacing the cylinder and no change except i can get my key out again.there has got to be a way to test the IDM, anyone know of a way? besides sending it away yo another state.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Have you tested the HUEI system pressure? I have my buddy's 97 in my driveway - PSD that won't start also and no smoke while cranking...I borrowed some fittings that I hope will allow me to see what the pressure in the head is so I can verify if I have HUEI pressure or not...I'm betting - NO. I have CAT high pressure gauiges and lines but I needed an o-ring boss style fitting for the head....If it works I'll post some pics....The tuner I borrowed is saying zero line pressure.

jfinch

jfinch
Reaction score
no i have not. let me know what you get on yours. maybe i can get some ideas from that. does it start with the throttle pressed down like mine?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a real scanner on it check what the IPR duty cycle is and what the ICP pressure is at cranking. Usually anything over 40% at cranking and an ICP pressure under 1000 psi is the high pressure pump going out.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I spoke to a Ford diesel tech this week about my buddy's 97, in my case he thinks it's a chaffed harness aa the p0340 fault is not supposed to cause a no start but it's possible he said. He suggested I peel the harness open where the engine/truck harness's join as they are known to rub on the drivers side valve cover area. I'm going to have a look at it tommorow.