Doing a Deutz

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I have seen Deutz engine swaps from time to time and wanted to get an opinion about these engines. I heard that they live forever. What's the deal?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The Ag Tech instructor at NCKAVTS(now Kansas College of Technology) had a 77 F250 4x4, with 1-ton axles, and a Deutz 3-cylinder. It was proppped up on 44" Ground Hawgs, but still topped out around 55 mph. It looked cool, and sounded unique, but was nearly completely useless.

One of his students pestered him, relentlessly, until he sold it. Unfortuately the guy was..errr...not well liked. The truck burned to the groung in his driveway, one night.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What a mismatched combo. Sounds painful to drive. I am thinking 200hp, inline 4-6, still air/oil cooled. Wasn't there a kit out there that the delivery truck people used to put these engines in a long time ago?

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can even get that kind of power from a Deutz. Their power band, from what I recall, is very high compared to rev limit, and parts may be a little ******* the pocket book.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
That may be true, but these engines are so overbuilt that even after ungodly amounts of hours or miles, most of them show little to no wear on the cylinders. As long as they were maintained, they seem to last 2-3 times as long as most diesels.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The bailers (new hollands) had 4 cylinder Deutz diesels. I think they were rated at 70-80hp. Ran them against the govenor all day long, and they would drink like 15 gallons of fuel. Noisy, yes, but they were neat.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
wow this thread was from 2 years ago.
I wonder if he ever found one to install.
and I sure as hell hope he didn't put it in that pretty '64 he's got.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online