Does this look healthy?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started up like that when I bought it, new o rings in the return lines adn fixed the air intrusion problems. Now it only smokes just a tad and clears up in a couple seconds.

Repairing the glow plug system will help substantially, Do you have a fast idle solenoid? it makes mine start up so much easier. Just tap the pedal when the glow plugs are warming up and hit the starter, usually fires in a couple revolutions even in real cold weather.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the guy that owned this truck before me said that it ran like this for the 10 years he had it on the road. Shortly before he bought it the IP and headgaskets were replaced. So prob 15 years ago or so? I have a new set of injectors I will see if that makes a difference with new return lines. Also I'm wondering if I'm not getting air from the old fuel lines they don't look like they are in the best shape ever. Anyone know how hard it would be to run new fuel and brake lines on this ole girl? I do use an air filter at the time I just didn't have one and didn't want to run to town to get one. I didn't run it a whole lot so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I was also really excited that it ran at that point I was beginning to wonder if i'd ever get this truck to drive!

Here is another video you can see I'm a clueless kid so any help is appreciated! Also ignore my dad he is an old man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLkESzxkJEU&feature=g-upl&context=G274cb60AUAAAAAAACAA

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ya the guy that owned this truck before me said that it ran like this for the 10 years he had it on the road. Shortly before he bought it the IP and headgaskets were replaced. So prob 15 years ago or so? I have a new set of injectors I will see if that makes a difference with new return lines. Also I'm wondering if I'm not getting air from the old fuel lines they don't look like they are in the best shape ever. Anyone know how hard it would be to run new fuel and brake lines on this ole girl? I do use an air filter at the time I just didn't have one and didn't want to run to town to get one. I didn't run it a whole lot so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I was also really excited that it ran at that point I was beginning to wonder if i'd ever get this truck to drive!

Here is another video you can see I'm a clueless kid so any help is appreciated! Also ignore my dad he is an old man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLkESzxkJEU&feature=g-upl&context=G274cb60AUAAAAAAACAA

Don't forget the glow plugs, beru are good brand same as motorcraft.

Changing the fuel and brake lines is not too hard depending on how much rust will You be fighting. Last time I did this was on the 84 plow truck, I think I dropped the front fuel tank to get access t the brake lines and tank selector.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel system is loosing prime when it sits.

Try depressing the schrader valve above the fuel filter while cranking and see if your getting a good supply of fuel.

Old leaky fuel lines will certainly cause hard starting problems.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for the past 3 weeks. The truck is back home in Rockford IL. I am down in peoria for school and haven't had a chance to go home. It makes it hard to have a project when it is 150 miles away! It does help though because I'm in an internship with Caterpillar called the think big program to be a heavy equipment mech. So it helps a little

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh cool ya I live in winnebago IL. I'll actually be goin right by mendota tomorrow afternoon on 39. I have to go home and get some work done on my truck! :)

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that video driving it was warmed up? Is it still stumbling when driving warmed up and on the throttle?

If thats what I am seeing you could just have a big mix of air and old injectors/pump.

I had this with my truck to a degree when I first got it, but moreso no external leaks but fuel draining back to the tank when off. So hard starts, then the bubbles working themselves out resulting in some smoke, but awesome power once warm.

What I did was make sure fuel lines were ok, pretend the bottom 3rd tank is the new bottom in case your fuel pickups are broken off like mine. Install a new fule filter and return line kit.

Then the big one is motocraft glowplugs and an electric carrier fuel pump. Now I turn the ignition on and the pump starts and purges itself by the time I hit the starter.

I also had what seemed to be a good working pump so I got new injectors. The before and after difference in this aspect was a smoother even sounding engine. A few times one would develop a knock and I would let it sit with atf for a day and it would go away. Not the healthiest idle when cold and you could hear oddball knocks and there was a hint of extra white smoke during warmup.

Add all that together and timing the truck and I can go out when it gets into the teens here, turn the ignition on, hit my glowplug switch for 10 seconds, hold the pedal down according to the instructions, then hit the starter and it will start in a couple seconds.

Also the truck does not leave clouds like that when cold and its warming up. YOu will get the initial puff and the engine may sound a tad bit louder with the advance on, and when it kicks off I drive off. Hot starts are almost instant.

This happened to a guy I know about a month ago. His was so bad it cut out a few times when warm and driving. Hard cold starts. And it was smoking like yours on startup and even a bit on take off minutes later. I had to do the best I could in a parking lot so we fixed some seeping hoses and put an electric pump in and he has been driving it since. His truck is also old with an unknown fuel system. Quiet engine and his is smoking at idle until its warmed up but then he drives it around like nothing.

Crazy things can happen inside the fuel lines. You might not see a leak but a hose can suck air and collapse, etc. as well.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a little update on the truck. Since then the fuel has been draining back even worse. I by-passed the water separator and now I have fuel at the filter after sitting overnight. The darn thing won't start without ether though after sitting. I am thinking maybe some back glow plugs. Anyways I replaced all my return lines, caps, and return lines. It seemed to kinda help, but it still smokes just as bad. the fuel still drains back so I'm thinking of trying new injectors and see where that goes.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
no it wont but white smoke out of the tail pipe will,

to the op, ensure that there is no air intrusion, check all glow plugs with an ohm meter or 12v light tester, truck sounds like way retarted timing and a few bad injectors, pull the filter and fill it with lucas, atf, or power service and then start it up and let run for about 2 min, kill it and let it sit for a day or so, this could loosen up the injectors, might buy you some time.

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My deceased engine had blow by, because it had 8-10 thousands of wear in the cylinders....fuel and oil wasn't going to help that...although the previous owner might have caused it by not changing the oil. That engine would smoke upon starting for a good minute if it wasn't completely warmed, I thought it was air in the fuel so I did injectors and return lines...didn't help at all...so if you get the air leak/ fuel situation sorted don't be surprised if she still smoke a bit and burns oil. My old engine with all it wear (and shot heads) still ran fairly good and made power, over-boosted my turbo and blew a head gasket otherwise that noisy, smokey, leaky, engine would still be rattling along...for God know how many more miles...I just couldn't justify putting the rebuilt heads back on worn cylinders (most of the valves were shot). Point being fix what you can and need to and just start working on a replacement and run her till your ready to replace her or she gives in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726