Does Synthetic = Easier Starting?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I am wondering if i switch to sythetic motor oil in the cold months if it will help the ole girl start. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on whether or not this will have a significant effect on ease of starting?

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
i ran synthetic this winter and it was able to start easer. but then again before syn i was running 15-40 at -20*f and colder. the synthtic was able to turn over way easier

CRMW

Reaction score
I don't run synthetic in the truck, however in my gassers I find synthetic really performs in the cold weather. When it is cold out it allows the motor to spin faster & easier.

A few years ago it hit -38 deg. C & I happened to have a couple of liters of 5W30 oil, the dino was like cold mollasses, the synthetic was thicker than normal, but at least it poured out of the bottle.

Chris

Last edited:

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
I am wondering if i switch to synthetic motor oil in the cold months if it will help the ole girl start. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on whether or not this will have a significant effect on ease of starting?

Absolutely, without a doubt. I made the switch and have not plugged in my truck no matter how cold it's been since and my truck starts like it's been parked inside all night! :D The temperature has been well below zero and the truck fires right up. Before the synthetic oil even when I had plugged it in all night sometimes I would get the mini-romps when starting it in the morning. The engine turns over so much easier now. I wish I would have gone to synthetic oil long before this.

Y2KPSD

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Re: Re: Does Synthetic = Easier Starting?

Originally posted by Y2KPSD
Absolutely, without a doubt. I made the switch and have not plugged in my truck no matter how cold it's been since and my truck starts like it's been parked inside all night! :D The temperature has been well below zero and the truck fires right up. Before the synthetic oil even when I had plugged it in all night sometimes I would get the mini-romps when starting it in the morning. The engine turns over so much easier now. I wish I would have gone to synthetic oil long before this.

Y2KPSD

Your truck maybe mine starts just fine with the reagular 15-40
it may help you injectors in the cold weather
but his I don't think so, it turns over just fine it won't fire and it doesn't have oil operated injector like the new trucks

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Does Synthetic = Easier Starting?

Originally posted by smokin_stroker00
Your truck maybe mine starts just fine with the reagular 15-40

In sub zero temps? Without plugging it in? OK whatever you say! :Whatever:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps my 6.0... Not sure if it makes it start easier, but it runs smoother once it fires....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've heard that it helps M-B's with cold-starting in northern climates. The M-B 5 cyl is basically the same IDI setup that we have.

I haven't tried synthetic on my truck yet, but I plan to make the switchover as soon as I get this oil leak taken care of. I've got the parts to do it (I hope; I think I found the leak), but that pesky school keeps getting in the way... *sigh*

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Synthetic = Easier Starting?

Originally posted by Y2KPSD
In sub zero temps? Without plugging it in? OK whatever you say! :Whatever:

The only time I had to plug my truck in is when the glowplug realy went south. It gets down to 0 here sometimes still never had a problem