Does my exhaust look normal?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
New to diesels as you guys have probably seen. Anyway, I got a little video of my exhaust and it looks like there are little white puffs when I let off the gas.

https://vid.me/e/dB4F

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's only normal in below freezing temps.even then,that's a bit too much white on startup.
does the smoke clear up once you've run the truck for a few mins? either way,it's probably time for a set of injectors.especially if the white never clears.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Cranking time is a little long also. Sound isn't right either, but hard to tell with that recording.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Ironworker could you give me a little more detail? I can get a better recording if you need

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
It seems to me idle drops low when you gas it and let off almost to the point of stalling. That along with your smoke could be injectors or ip pump. But like I said hard to tell. Next time have someone in truck and someone at the right front so they can record from there you may get better results.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
That video was taken after the car had sat for about two weeks, and it was started on a pretty much dead battery.

Today, I started the truck with a full battery, so the startup was fast and took a normal amount of time, and the idle sounded normal to me.

However, the truck still had white smoke. I drove around for a bit and still, the white smoke was there when I accelerated, even after I had gotten it warmed up.

So there's just a little more information for you guys.

Guess it looks like I'm gonna have to get some new injectors.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
That idle sounds low/retarded. Does what mine use to do with the idle dropping low after letting out of the throttle. I would clean the IP and injectors, and get the timing set. That should help enough to see how bad your injectors are and see how bad you need an IP.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Not knowing any better, why would you guys say injectors? Just for my knowledge.