Does hot WMO burn better?

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have any previous run time to compare it to. This was my first tank of fuel. I am building this truck to run on as little diesel as possible. I put 10 gallons of filtered oil and 5 gallons of diesel in and it ran for about 1minute then died. I took the filter off the engine block and it was only half full. I went and got 5 more gallons of diesel and put it in and it thinned the fuel down enough to run good.(50diesel 50oil) My thoughts are that If the fuel was heated at start up it would run on at least 75%oil. Just wondering how you guys keep separate fuel tanks if your return line returns so much fuel to one tank???:dunno

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I was under my truck as early as this morning. There are returns to both my tanks. I'm fairly sure the line selector thingy re-routes the return lines when you switch.

My truck has no issues whatsoever with 100% wmo filtered to 1 micron. It surges a bit when it's cold at night and it stops once I reach 190'F. I figured I'd heat my WMO tank for GP.

I dont have any previous run time to compare it to. This was my first tank of fuel. I am building this truck to run on as little diesel as possible. I put 10 gallons of filtered oil and 5 gallons of diesel in and it ran for about 1minute then died. I took the filter off the engine block and it was only half full. I went and got 5 more gallons of diesel and put it in and it thinned the fuel down enough to run good.(50diesel 50oil) My thoughts are that If the fuel was heated at start up it would run on at least 75%oil. Just wondering how you guys keep separate fuel tanks if your return line returns so much fuel to one tank???:dunno

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know this!! I hate wiring and unusual thingys on my truck. I might look into one of those switches if I use a second tank.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
good find Jred very good

thanks, got a power steering pump torn apart now and think i got some good ideas on how to set it up. i also e-mailed the guy which really helped me out. i will try to document what i do and post up when i get it to work. heck when i can get my whole system to work right i will probably take good pics and do a write up.

my major pain is pumping the oil, i never had problems until i went stronger than about a 50/50 mix to 100%.

i WILL beat this problem

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The in tank heat exchanger I'm using - a HotFox - was $215.00 - almost had it all plumbed up and it decided that this evening was one of those rare ones where it actually rains here in the high desert - replete with lighting strikes a few hundred yards away.

Well the cell has passed time to go finish. Pics later...

wonder how much those things are

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The in tank heat exchanger I'm using - a HotFox - was $215.00 - almost had it all plumbed up and it decided that this evening was one of those rare ones where it actually rains here in the high desert - replete with lighting strikes a few hundred yards away.

Well the cell has passed time to go finish. Pics later...

yes please on the pics id like to see this heater you have

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'll take pics of it in the rear tank - unfortunately it's already installed in the tank, but you'll get the gist of it.

I've woken up fairly sick (damn cold won't go away) - I just hope I can finish plumbing this damned thing today.

yes please on the pics id like to see this heater you have

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
here ya go - one pic is of the brass contraption I built to house the temp sensor...

Debating on how to route the line to the pump housing. Was thinking of just coming up by the steering shaft on the manifold side (hope the hose doesn't melt)and up of the intake housing hose, over the IP to the pump, or around the PS filler neck under the compressor mount. Can't decide.

Attachments

• 00008.jpg
    00008.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 00009.jpg
    00009.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 20
  • 00010.jpg
    00010.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 22

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool;Sweet , that is an aftermarket rear tank i assume. sure makes installing stuff easy on a flat surface.