Do these glow plugs look 5 days old to you?

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like I remember part of the problem with the old contollers was that the light would go off but the plugs didn't.

maybe mine is wired different, but on mine the hot wire for the glow plug light comes off the switched side of the glow plug relay, aka the same terminal that the glow plugs get power from.

so if the glow plugs are burning the light is on, and vice versa.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe mine is wired different, but on mine the hot wire for the glow plug light comes off the switched side of the glow plug relay, aka the same terminal that the glow plugs get power from.

so if the glow plugs are burning the light is on, and vice versa.

Ford used three different systems that I am aware of. I went back and tried to research which one I thought was capable of shutting out the light but leave the plugs on. I don't have all my old books here they are at work. Anyway it seems like I remember that it may have been the early 83's that did that. They were indeed wired different then the 84-86. Then again it was a long time ago now and maybe I'm all wet. I do remember that back in the day we had nothing but trouble with glow plugs until Ford eventually upgraded to the solid state controller. Ford also came up with a tsb that included new components to repair older systems. We rewired a lot of glow plug systems back then. The tsb simply changed everything to the later solid state style contoller, bullet style plugs and a new glow plug harness. It is my understanding that the later model controller cycles the glow plugs by monitoring plug current instead of a simple time switch in the form of a bimettalic strip. This is much more efficient and in turn allows for a more reliable glow plug system not to mention increased glow plug longevity.

Black dawg

Reaction score
ive had good luck in the past with AC in a 8g and 32g, BUT recently I got a couple ac 32g that were autolites that said ac 32g. I knew right away that they were autolites, and put power to them, and they both blew up at 14 seconds. Ive torture tested piles of 32gs and never had one blow up. I will never use an ac glow plug again.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ive had good luck in the past with AC in a 8g and 32g, BUT recently I got a couple ac 32g that were autolites that said ac 32g. I knew right away that they were autolites, and put power to them, and they both blew up at 14 seconds. Ive torture tested piles of 32gs and never had one blow up. I will never use an ac glow plug again.

i have used AC delco 12G and 8G and havent burned any up yet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford used three different systems that I am aware of. I went back and tried to research which one I thought was capable of shutting out the light but leave the plugs on. I don't have all my old books here they are at work. Anyway it seems like I remember that it may have been the early 83's that did that....

You get a prize. Yes indeed, that is the way they are, and mine has been working fine for 26 years! Yea I know... but I probably have the only garage kept 83'. They actually had 3 different glow plug system variations between 83 and 86. Guess you could say they ultimately decided that the system just wasn't good enough, and completely re-did the whole thing. They got it right that second time. However, I do think the 80's trucks had an advantage with the GP relay on the fender. That was a good idea they should have kept. Engine heat on electronic components is always something to avoid.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention you could copy the 80s system but use a solid state controller...just sayin'..... that's what I did and I've only burned out 2 gps in 5+ years, and LOTS of starts, many cold/abused etc. The latching relay is really way too scary unless you do something like Agnem did and failsafe the factory system. It works really really well until that controller gets stuck in the on position, it will never fail to fire up and will start well with even a few glow plugs burnt out unless it is very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac