Disecting a Vacuum Pump

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is a bit hard to turn. I have it all apart, but I can''t get the shaft out. I tried a small punch at the rear of the housing, but the front bearing would only come out about 1/16". I figured I may as well disassemble and fix it as opposed to buying a reman for $116.

Any ideas?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure anyone knows - they're not supposed to be serviceable from what I've seen. If you do get it apart I'm not sure you'll be able to find much in the way of parts. Bearing are probably standard industrial units, but that's not usually a failure point from what I've seen.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know they reman a VP, the diaphram can't be replaced, only the bearings. New are $175 up. Might find one on ebay, just make sure you get the right one, V-belt or Serpentine the pulley shafts are different, VB is press on, Serp is screw on.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
serp is not screw on..

i believe the difference is shaft diameter.
not 100%

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The differences between the V belt and the serpentine pumps is the serpentine pump has a different angle to the suction pipe and the base housing bolt holes are free drilled. No threads in them. the V belt pump has threads in the same base housing mounts. Its not a problem to drill out the threads to make a V belt pump work on a serpentine belt engine. I did just that and its working great now after 9 years. What you really can't do is use a serpentine belt pump on a V belt engine. There are no threads to mount it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences between the V belt and the serpentine pumps is the serpentine pump has a different angle to the suction pipe and the base housing bolt holes are free drilled. No threads in them. the V belt pump has threads in the same base housing mounts. Its not a problem to drill out the threads to make a V belt pump work on a serpentine belt engine. I did just that and its working great now after 9 years. What you really can't do is use a serpentine belt pump on a V belt engine. There are no threads to mount it.

drill em out bigger and put bigger bolts?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone eliminated the pump and added a bypass pulley. If I can't get the shaft out, I don't want to buy another pump just to work my heater controls.
I'd add cable to my controls if I could, buy a small vacuum pump will suffice.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
if the pump part is bad and it's just the bearings in the drive that failed, I rebuild the drive on mine. Could not find the bearing for the eccentric but figured I could modify an off the shelf bebaring to work if I had to. Front bearing on mine failed, if same failed on yours it's a few bucks to buy another, very common bearing. Throw a new center bearing and seal as well and refill with synthetic oil.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?71343-Vacuum-pump-shaft-end-play

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone eliminated the pump and added a bypass pulley. If I can't get the shaft out, I don't want to buy another pump just to work my heater controls.

Unless you have hydroboost brakes, a small electric vac pump may not be enough

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Next time I need a belt, I will eliminate my vacuum pump and go with an electric vacuum pump from a newer superduty truck. I will just figure out how much shorter of a belt I will need and run it straight across from the ac to the alternator. I do have hydroboost brakes though.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a rebuilt one at the junk yard. I got it so that I'll never need it. LoL

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time I need a belt, I will eliminate my vacuum pump and go with an electric vacuum pump from a newer superduty truck. I will just figure out how much shorter of a belt I will need and run it straight across from the ac to the alternator. I do have hydroboost brakes though.

I have a Superduty with hydraboost as well, but I am working on my F350. I may try the newer vacuum pump instead of buying a new mechanical pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin