Dip Stick Tube Fitting

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is the fitting needed for the dip stick tube to fit in the block. This is pounded in the block. then the tube fits easily into this. The factory used an o ring on the tube. I don't. Its simply too much trouble getting it in the fitting and seal up. I use plenty of rtv on the tube. Then smooth it out so it looks pretty... I understand nobody is ever going to see it but I know it there. Kinda tuff getting around the block wall side but it can be done with some tools. Just make sure you see the rtv has completely surrounded the fitting and tube... Or sure as heck there will be a huge oil leak...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290881763741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fun fighting the tube into that fitting with a new o-ring on there. Lots-o-fun.LOL

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You two know what I'm refering too. For me its rtv every time... I did try several times to make the oem o ring fit. Just not happening... Think about trying to push a marshmellow into a piggy bank... Now you understand what I went thru till I woke up...:sly:angel:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
This part is not even necessary on the early 6.9. Just a tube pushed into the block, not even any support on the valve cover. I guess they will last as long as you don't pound or hang on them. That is the reason for two different length dipsticks.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this fitting require a different length dipstick tube? I know that my tube is leaking a little around the hole in the block, but if this makes it easier to service on my engine rebuild, I am going to get it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is whats found on many 7.3 engines. Before you buy this remove yours. Clean both parts. Clean the tube and the fitting with brakclean. Then goober up the rtv on the tube and slip it in. I'm betting that will fix your leak... No problem with this being used on any 7.3 block. You probably already have one in place now. Just get under there and have a look see.. Might save you some cash.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and grabbed one, for 5 bucks, why not be ready. I am about to begin a rebuild on my used engine I bought. And plan on making sure I don't have to take it back out once it is completed and installed. Plus, I like car parts arriving in the mail...thanks for the information once again. I have learned a lot about what to expect, but I expect there are many here who have forgotten more than I know.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't you just super glue the O-ring to the tube and let it dry, then rub some oil on the outside of it and slide it in??? We do stuff like that at work.....never tried a dipstick tube tho.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I was wrong, there are three dipstick lengths. I forgot the E series, which has enormously long dipsticks. They would also use the part advertised, although they are now all gone.

Farmboy,

You could probably try gluing the o ring to the tube, but an o ring seal is created by compression, and super glue is not very pliable once it sets. Could be creating a problem while trying to solve one. If you really want to glue it on, try rubber cement or "Gaskacinch" gasket sealer (same thing). That will stick and be able to stretch if necessary.

The problem with this particular seal is that the O ring is very thin and small, so it doesn't take much to screw up the installation. RTV is a good solution to a continuing problem that the factory punted on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I pulled down my original 7.3 I found this o ring was flat and very thin. So I tried several times to may it fit.. Finally gave up and goobered it with rtv... No leaks ever plus... It comes apart easily.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer... they're already sold out on ebay.
Thanks for the part number though. I noticed my connection was leaking pretty decently during my engine tear down.
I'm with "cpdenton" above; I like to replace parts once and when it's easiest opposed to always wondering where a leak is coming from.