Different Speedometer gear question

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know speedo gears have been beat to death on this forum, however after searching I didn't find an answer to this question:

The truck is my 89 f250 with zf5 and bw1356 tcase. The plastic driven speedometer gear that is held on with the metal clip, has a "pin" on it. (see the picture)

Is there supposed to be a bushing, etc that this pin goes into, or is the gear supported entirely from the other end.

I took the bearing retainer off to replace the yellow drive gear, and being the inquisitive type that I am, I got to comparing the driven gear and the hole in the retainer and it don't look like on mine the pin is for any purpose?? When installed, it don't touch the end of the hole and the hole is the same size all the way. It seems like there should be a bushing or something for this pin to fit into. What is the deal?

I don't want to destroy another drive gear if something is missing....

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I do not think there is a holder for that pin in the tailshaft of the trans. Looking back all I have ever seen looking into this area it the gear on the shaft. Maybe this "pin" is nothing more than a type of balancer. I know it spins faster than the trans output shaft...