Different solution to my low oil pressure...

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Rather than pull the engine, I may just take the plunge on another vehicle.

Locally, there is a '93 supercab 7.3 with Banks sidewinder, 4X4, tow package, PS, PW&L,PB, witrh 114,000 miles for around $4500.

It would be a unknown truck, and might need some things like steering box, and heater core, but overall it looks to be a clean truck.

What do you guys think? In this market, is that too much $?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
what is your truck worth and what would be the cost to get that truck road worthy for your self there are a lot of varibles to concider in this matter because the cost to fix your truck or
what would the cost of putting $$$ into the truck that u have now and to purchase the truck and put the $$$ into it to get it up to ur standards

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's right, you know what your truck needs, while obtaining the new one may be a bit of a leap of faith. You can get lucky like me and end up with a great truck, or there can be some issues with it (like a rear axle about to self-destruct) that you will likely not be aware of till tis too late. So yeps, inspect the new truck thoroughly, then compare that to what your truck needs, and then decide. As far as price goes - I'd say that sounds about right, I've seen clean trucks go for cheaper, but tis a hit or miss type deal.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
or you could use your current truck as a parts truck :)

i paid $5000 for mine with almost 3 times as many miles. if the 93 you're looking at is an F250 you may be looking at front end work eventually (ball joints, axle joints, bushings)

i think if i was in your shoes and i bought that 7.3 i'd make sure i had a spare motor sitting around in case of the big "C". hence my thoughts on your current truck. :)

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Cavitation is the big unknown, isn't it.
Is it still a problem, or have the engines susceptible to it already failed? Is it safe to assume that it is less of a problem now than when the 7.3s first came out, as the weaker ones have already died?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I thought all n/a 7.3s are susceptible to cavitation...

no all 7.3' turbo or no

sounds like a nice price but like said it is a leap of faith. what you know vs what you don't. you also have to figure taxes tags transfer fees and selling your old truck unless you trade it in and take more of a hit.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if it's a 7.3 IDI it is at risk for cavitation. i do not think cavitation is an issue with 7.3 psd's. an OBS PSD might be worth looking into. stay away from the superduty. like i said before, cost of ownership is much higher.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Pretty much the same issues that are battling in my head.
The devil you know, versus a truck with less miles and a turbo already on it, plus a nicer interior.
Then their is the big C, possible tranny concerns, and the normal delayed maintenance items.
One one hand.....on the other hand....on the other, other hand....on the other, other,other hand.....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's a 7.3 IDI it is at risk for cavitation. i do not think cavitation is an issue with 7.3 psd's. an OBS PSD might be worth looking into. stay away from the superduty. like i said before, cost of ownership is much higher.

I'm thinking the same thing. Once you get above "dirt cheap" truck prices you might as well look at the PSD's too.

The PSD's do not have cavitation issues, the only reason the 7.3 IDI does is that it was bored as a thinwall block. Had they redesigned the cooling cores a little smaller it would ahve been fine.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Rather than pull the engine, I may just take the plunge on another vehicle.

Locally, there is a '93 supercab 7.3 with Banks sidewinder, 4X4, tow package, PS, PW&L,PB, witrh 114,000 miles for around $4500.

It would be a unknown truck, and might need some things like steering box, and heater core, but overall it looks to be a clean truck.

What do you guys think? In this market, is that too much $?

You can buy My engine and turbo for less with ALL known history :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin