86 f250 6.9 rebuild/refresh advice and questions

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No oil in the cylinders. Not helpful, not necessary.

Are you saying there is no lube at all in the oil pump? Installed dry? If so, that could make it tougher. If you pump enough oil down the turbo hose, and since you said the oil filter was full of oil, if you pump enough oil down, it may get to the oil pump the back way. Try that first. If no go, then you may want to get what's called an engine pre-luber (google it). Basically, in the simplest form, it's an oil tank into which you put the engine oil. You then connect one of the hoses to the engine lube system (usually at the pressure sensor port, or you could use the turbo hose). You can pressurize the pre-luber with compressed air, open the outlet valve and basically fill the entire engine via the the lube system. That will definitely prime the pump. You'll have to drain the crankcase first, so as not to overfill the engine with oil.

The pump is the same one that came out of the motor, and I simply bolted it back in; never even thought about priming it or anything else. It sat on a shelf wrapped in a rag for 3 months. So I guess yeah it's essentially dry. I'll google that as recommended.

I figured a shot in the cylinders would help protect the walls and rings. If not that'll save a decent amount of work for me. I put engine lube on the walls when I pushed the pistons in, but that'll only protect so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, the rings don't need much lube at this stage so save yourself the aggro on the cylinder lube. Try the oil can first. IMO, the odds are good that will work. You'll want to pump half a quart or so in there bet be sure to check the oil level after it's running. You may be a little overfill after.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well???...did it light off yet?

Not on Saturday, shop closed Sunday/Monday. I'll be lucky to get two hours during the week. I work an hour from the shop now and the shop is open 9-5. Going into work 3hrs early all week in the hopes of getting out early afternoon maybe Thursday, if things go well. Once it starts, I'm bringing it home haha

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:angel:I heard that...looking forward to getting my new injectors in my truck...have to get batteries tomorrow for it then its install time... I wanna hear that diesel music again

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:angel:I heard that...looking forward to getting my new injectors in my truck...have to get batteries tomorrow for it then its install time... I wanna hear that diesel music again

Saw that thread. She oughta really run well with those brand new matched delphis!!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've got distilled water in the engine as recommended, and have for a week. How long can I leave that in there? The intention was to drain it that day, but things didn't go to plan.

As an update, my mech pump wasn't doing its one and only job, so ordered an electric (should have done this from the beginning), and if I ever get time, it should work! Hopefully...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to ask a thread question:

Where do you draw power for an electric pump when you add one? Should be a "key on circuit" right?
Where do you tap in and get enough power to run the electric pump without overloading any of the "key on" circuits?

Thanks.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to ask a thread question:

Where do you draw power for an electric pump when you add one? Should be a "key on circuit" right?
Where do you tap in and get enough power to run the electric pump without overloading any of the "key on" circuits?

Thanks.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...pump-with-a-Facet-Duralift-electric-fuel-pump

Power is from the battery, through a relay, which is activated by whatever key on circuit you choose. Relay takes the overload possibility away and shortens the wire you have to run. In that article, the key on circuit is the fss wire. Smart to wire a fuse in the line from the battery to the pump.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RE The distilled water, a coupla weeks shouldn't be a problem. Don't be alarmed if it comes out a little rusty when you finally do drain it and install antifreeze/coolant.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Hoping to get it back on the road this week and use it to move this weekend. Put the Facet Duralift pump on and quickly realized I should have done that to start with.

https://vimeo.com/121199112

It is worth noting the cold (it was 80F outside though) oil pressure. You could say I was pleased.

You must be registered for see images attach

A huge THANK YOU to everyone. I'll try to periodically update this thread with how she is doing.. Such as first trip back on the road, and how it holds up over time. Hopefully my questions can even help someone else keep one of these on the road!

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm digging that bracket to hold the pump!! Simple but puts it right where it needs to be

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/121307780

Took this video to verify with yall experts on here that it sounds right. I haven't spent a ton of time around diesels and being me was wondering if I heard a knock. Shop mechanic told me I was crazy that it sounded like a Diesel engine. I warmed it up to about 180F and drove it around the parking lot, oil pressure still hanging out around 20 made me happy.

Also, I took that wind deflector thing off the front and realized why the PO had it on there. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? Something looks off where the hood meets the grill.

And yes it is embarrassingly dirty. Horrendously dirty. Next on my list.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Hood looks normal. Mine looks just like that. By any chance what are you going to do with the deflector?
Sounds Nice. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online