86 f250 6.9 rebuild/refresh advice and questions

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood looks normal. Mine looks just like that. By any chance what are you going to do with the deflector?
Sounds Nice. ;Sweet

Interesting. Well, thanks. I'll have to buy two SS screws for the spots missing them, tape it up, and repaint the black so it doesn't stand out so much (its worse in person than in pics). Then again, it's a truck. Still have a little (or a lot, w/e) city boy in me...

The deflector was a nice piece, but at some point in opening/closing/removing the hood, it developed a nasty crack. I didn't really like the look anyway so its in the truck bed now. I'd give it away if ya wanted it but bet the shipping alone (plus the crack) probably ruin that possibility

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I'll get back with you on that deflector.

It's cool to see these builds progress and to see people willing to keep these trucks on the road. ;Sweet

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's "off" is you are missing some flat black paint at the very top of the grill which covers up the top edge of the chrome visible under the lower edge of the hood.

Run a line of tape across the chrome that you want to see, mask the rest of the grill so you don't get flat black paint on it, and dust a little "reflection killer" flat black on that upper lip and it will look right to you.. I bet.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top piece of your grill looks a little tweaked and could use some adjustment. After that, clean it up and repaint the area semi-gloss black and you won't notice it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/121307780

Took this video to verify with yall experts on here that it sounds right. I haven't spent a ton of time around diesels and being me was wondering if I heard a knock. Shop mechanic told me I was crazy that it sounded like a Diesel engine. I warmed it up to about 180F and drove it around the parking lot, oil pressure still hanging out around 20 made me happy.

Also, I took that wind deflector thing off the front and realized why the PO had it on there. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? Something looks off where the hood meets the grill.

You must be registered for see images attach

And yes it is embarrassingly dirty. Horrendously dirty. Next on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawd I want those seats....wrong color but I've been looking for so long that I don't care anymore. :sly

Engine sounds great. With proper care you'll have a nice truck for the next 10-20 years. Or at least until you break down and decide to retrofit some kind of overdrive transmission.LOL

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so far I used the truck to move and it did the job! Proud of that. Temp stays between 180 and 190 so far, not bad. Pushing a little coolant out of the reservoir, I guess while driving cause I haven't caught it while it was happening yet. I think it's just overfilled. Oil px gauge was dripping so I changed the fitting. Now it is sealed but indicates a constant 20 even when the truck is off, then sits around 60 when running no matter what. Idk. W/e I'll either fix it or replace it hopefully under warranty. Still need to wire the gauge lights anyway. For now both gauges show px.

Drained and filled transmission and transfer case. Little less gear noise now, and I know what's in em.

Timed her today too, finally. Was sitting at 11. Made marks at 9.1 and 7.9 and left it at 7.9 for now (there's also a mark at 11). Smoother, more power, easier to make boost... Just much happier. Thanks a ton to Gary for the meter and help along the way. He also helped diagnose a nasty fuel leak at the #7 injector. After checking for cross threading and swapping injectors thinking I had a cracked line, it stopped leaking. Guess it wasn't seated properly. Thank god for luck every now and then (and the good advice to swap injectors and narrow down the exact problem).

Little things are getting done to make it nice again, but the house is taking most of my time for now.

:)

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last load from my place. Pretty sure the truck laughed at my thinking this was a load, cause the thing drove like nothing was back there.

8ft bed should be standard. I don't ever want a truck without one.

Also, if anyone happens across this thread that doesn't know for sure how their truck is timed, TIME YOUR TRUCK. It really makes that big of a difference, in power, noise, smoothness, temps.....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last load from my place. Pretty sure the truck laughed at my thinking this was a load, cause the thing drove like nothing was back there.

8ft bed should be standard. I don't ever want a truck without one.

Also, if anyone happens across this thread that doesn't know for sure how their truck is timed, TIME YOUR TRUCK. It really makes that big of a difference, in power, noise, smoothness, temps.....

i know what you mean about bed length. i had to sacrifice mine for 3 more feet for cab room, but i think its well worth it!

timing is everything! glad to hear your truck is done!

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '86 has the same aluminum side steps! I've hated them since the day I installed them in '87, but they are handy and my tiny wife needs them to climb in and out. It's been so long I don't remember who made them Dee-Zee, I think.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '86 has the same aluminum side steps! I've hated them since the day I installed them in '87, but they are handy and my tiny wife needs them to climb in and out. It's been so long I don't remember who made them Dee-Zee, I think.

I actually like mine! I'll look think it still has a brand on it.

So, got a noise in neutral when off the clutch. It started as just a 'whir' noise I thought might be neutral. Here's a video of anyone can help me out. Thanks.
EDIT
I'll leave this video, but all you hear is normal diesel noise. There's a definite metallic sound from the clutch area, but I didn't catch it in this video, unless yall can hear better than me. I'll get a better video soon.
https://vimeo.com/124163304

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like mine! I'll look think it still has a brand on it.

So, got a noise in neutral when off the clutch. It started as just a 'whir' noise I thought might be neutral. Here's a video of anyone can help me out. Thanks.
EDIT
I'll leave this video, but all you hear is normal diesel noise. There's a definite metallic sound from the clutch area, but I didn't catch it in this video, unless yall can hear better than me. I'll get a better video soon.
https://vimeo.com/124163304

Hmm.....I can hear it alright. My guess would be in the throw-out bearing or damaged clutch spring. Have you dropped the bell housing access cover yet? Might give some clues if something is rattling around in there. Only time I heard something quite like this was on a powerstroke that had a bad dual mass flywheel. Not the same transmission, but it sounded similar.

Has the truck developed any tendency to creep when in gear and the clutch pressed? Any louder rattle when it shuts off? Any difficulty getting the transmission into gear from neutral when running?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DECIDED THE TRANS DESERVED ITS OWN THREAD
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...(new-clutch-and-bearings)&p=849396#post849396
Thanks for the help here david85, I put your response in the new thread and I'll keep this thread around to update on how the rebuild holds up.

Haven't dropped the cover yet, but I guess that's next on my list.

Haven't had a creep develop yet, but this clutch has 250 miles on it. Wonder if I damaged something working the engine back into place. Louder rattle; not that I've noticed. Difficulty getting it into gear - YES. Especially reverse. When it does it (pretty regularly) I let off the clutch in neutral briefly, and then it will usually slip into gear. That too I thought might be normal.

Last edited:

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after doing all this work, the truck has moved on to another home. I simply did not have time anymore to put into it, and additionally didn't want to keep spending the money. Hard to own one of these and have the personality where you need to fix every little thing that might be wrong. In a perfect world, I would have kept it, but it went to a good new home. Thanks to everyone on here for all the help, I learned a ton from you all. I don't know what my next project vehicle will be, or when I will have the time to get one, but the information learned here will apply no matter what that next vehicle ends up being. I will also miss that diesel smell and rumble.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online