Difference between fuel screw and torque screw.

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
Now i just wanna see if I am remotely close to being correct on the difference but of course the fuel screw located on the side of the IP controls the amount of fuel sent out the pump. Now my best guess for the torque screw is that it functions like an anerode valve on big trucks that prevents massive clouds of black smoke:sly until the turbo spools by controlling how fast the fuel is feed to the injectors. Does anyone know if I am remotely close. :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Now i just wanna see if I am remotely close to being correct on the difference but of course the fuel screw located on the side of the IP controls the amount of fuel sent out the pump. Now my best guess for the torque screw is that it functions like an anerode valve on big trucks that prevents massive clouds of black smoke:sly until the turbo spools by controlling how fast the fuel is feed to the injectors. Does anyone know if I am remotely close. :dunno

Not likely, that requires being attached to the manifold for pressure/vacuum reading, Hypermax makes an add on anaeroid system for these things right here

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was just a thread a couple of weeks ago about this, I'm pretty sure it was explained. Try a search and see if you find it.
Travis..

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Not likely, that requires being attached to the manifold for pressure/vacuum reading, Hypermax makes an add on anaeroid system for these things right here

hey will that reduce the power as well until turbo spools or does it somehow see the "unneeded" fuel because i see it limits fuel delivery

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
hey will that reduce the power as well until turbo spools or does it somehow see the "unneeded" fuel because i see it limits fuel delivery

An anaeroid is a standard piece of equipment on Bosch turbo pumps. They simply prevent overfueling until there is enough air to actually burn the fuel. It actually allows you to run a hotter injection pump because the fuel will eventually be put to the thing, but only when there is enough air to actually burn it. I have meesed with them on European diesels for years, when set properly, you will get MORE power and quicker acceleration. All that extra black smoke does when you stand on it , is to bog you down and make your wallet shrink faster. If you have more fuel than the thing can burn , it just chokes the thing out. An anaeroid allows teh turbo to spool up and gradually lets the extra fuel in as needeed. With an anaeroid and an auto trans, you can go to get on the interstate and just floor it, and you will just get a small puff oc smoke, but the turbo will spool up quickly and clean, and you will actually pull out faster than by just dumping fuel into the engine .
I REALLY wanted to get one of those things before my last long trip, but ran out of time and money before leaving. It would have likely paid for itself on that trip .

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
wow that makes sense i can tell especially n/a that after maybe slightly over 3/4 throttle all it does is make smoke i may have to add this to my setup im making .... the desciption doesn't say much about what it reads to operate

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
My Mercedes 300SD has that device. When it functions properly, you never know its even there. No black smoke; just great ( for a 5 cyl diesel) acceleration.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you are always high on these aneroid valves Robert, if I do get one do you think you and the other guys from here could talk me through the adjustment or a local fuel injection shop could help if I just can't figure it out? I love to play with the truck some but the massive smoke cloud is really not me. I figure with one of these I could finish turning the pump up and maybe gain a few more ponies when enough boost is there without blacking out the town and running dangerously high EGTs.

Black dawg

Reaction score
hey JD if you do buy one will you be able to take good pictures of it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know you are always high on these aneroid valves Robert, if I do get one do you think you and the other guys from here could talk me through the adjustment or a local fuel injection shop could help if I just can't figure it out? I love to play with the truck some but the massive smoke cloud is really not me. I figure with one of these I could finish turning the pump up and maybe gain a few more ponies when enough boost is there without blacking out the town and running dangerously high EGTs.

I used to have to adjust those things all the time, it's not rocket science.I had a long conversation over teh phone with the guy at Hypermax who designed teh thing. Its setup with the same kind of adjustments as the Bosch setup, so it shouldn't be difficult to dial the thing in ( essentially it's a diaphram that pushes or pulls on a rod setting the max fuel output in relationship with the intake manifold pressure/vacuum so it's a simple matter of dialing in the amount of spring tension against the diaphram which controlls the amount of pressure needed to deliver higher amounts of fuel, in other words, you basically play with it till when standing on it, you only get a small puff that quickly dissapates as boost builds and acceleration gets steadily stronger with boost and you have your setting, if it starts falling on it's face with zero smoke at full throttle then it's requiring too much boost and needs to be backed off a bit, if still smoking like a chimny, then it needs to be set higher..
once you get it basically dialed in, then you can fool with turning the fuel up even more and playing with the anaeroid adjustment some more till you get to the point where you can no longer control the smoke output, then back teh fuel back down and you will have maximum performance, and minimal polution output i.e. volumetric efficiency at it's peak ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From looking at the Hypermax pix of the aneroid, it appears that the torque setting is adjusted by the pressure/vacuum, Look at the pix below, the torque screw is the little black thing with the threads on it at the lower right corner. The whole cap is replaced on the IP. No wonder it's expensive.

Attachments

• DVC01374.JPG
    DVC01374.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 27