diesel lope

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Hello all I have a question for the pump masters I know these new eletronic diesel can lope by a flip of a switch.

So my question is what does it take to make a mechinical lope and is there a way to manulipulate the high idle or timing advance to turn the lope off. Example if it lopes at a very low idle you use high idle to raise it above the lope level ... since I have no idea how the pump works I'm calling on ppl with more knowledge

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Seems to me that the fact that electronic diesels can lope at the flick of a switch would appear to be a bad thing...

Think about it, every tiny little motion of the engine is dependent on the right electrons in the correct quantity and flavor moving from point A to point B at precisely the right time. In my line of work I see errant electrons cause trouble all the time. :D

You can crank your idle down and the thing will lope like crazy... Otherwise it will naturally run smooth because a "smooth running engine is a happy engine" :D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that the fact that electronic diesels can lope at the flick of a switch would appear to be a bad thing...

not a bad thing.to make our computered engines lope we are just playing with timing and injector oil pressures.oil pressure more than timing.my stroke sounds like a cammed up big block gasser when im in race or smoke.i can drive it in the race program but i cant stand the touchy throttle pedal.

White Elephant

Reaction score
I tried lookin up how to make mine lope too.. but i found out ya cant do it. unless ya wanna turn the idle way down or run it out of fuel. And to me it aint worth that. lol

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Any and all idling runs the risk of cylinder washout.

We had a fleet of powerstroke worktrucks at the tower construction job I was at, they spent a great part of the day idling running hydraulic pto pumps to run capstain rope winches. Each and every one of them began having oil pressure issues because of the fuel dilution in the oil. A high idle kit was needed but never installed. We thus shortened the oil change interval to 2500 miles to try and compensate.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously built mechanical diesels (pullers, drag trucks) lope mainly because of the radically advanced timing (>40 degrees BTDC), lower compression, and heavily modified fuel pumps. Most have cams, but that plays a lesser role in the loping idle.

Heath

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I personally feel that unless your mods make it lope, and since artificially making it do so is probably harmful to the engine...it would be the IDI equivalent of putting 3" wheel spacers and a fart can on a Honda Civic. All show and no substance.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cante-lope--Ante-lope--E-lope- Engi-lope - Anti-lope. All kinds of lopes, but why would you want your engine to lope, or just to find out what would make an engine lope?

Inertia!

The IP is going to squirt fuel in the proper cylinder each revolution no matter how slow the RPM is. but it will get more fuel in at lower RPM, hence cylinder wash. At higher RPM there is less time for cylinder blow by, equals higher compression, equals higher cylinder temperature, equals more efficient combustion. That's my thought's on it.

Take a Hit-Miss engine, it has a very large flywheel to carry the "INERTIA" for the next HIT. They run pretty smooth.

I would bet an IDI with the heavy flywheel versus just a flexplate it would run at a lower RPM with less "lope".

This aught to bring on a lot of comments.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I figured I would need my flame suit for this thread I just wondered if there was a way with the ip to do such and honestly I love the sound but my whole idea was to have it user selectable.... I know its all show no go but until income changes that's where I'm at

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO NO, wasn't flaming anyone. Just thought all those lopes would be funny. But the explanation of loping is just my thought on what causes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online