Diesel For $3.99 Per Gallon

GasFree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a spread and a rip off regardless. Long Island $4.59 - $4.79, NH $3.89, and I think Quebec was about 1.60/ltr. Unfortunately, $.99 will stay in my mind, until I lose it anyway.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ventura County, CA: I paid just under $4 a gallon (can't remember the price exactly) on base (Navy). $4.30 just off the 101 near my apartment.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was does gas go down and not diesel? in the old days it was opposite . Why has it changed?
Two reasons:

1) If oil refineries gear up to make more g@$oline, less diesel's available (not sure why, but IIRC it has something to do with the refining process; an oil man can elaborate)

2) Oil companies finally realized that they can pretty much charge whatever they want for diesel...truck drivers are going to pay it regardless of the cost, and "other" diesel sales are trivial in their minds. :puke: -cuss

Either way, it sucks!! I wish I had the facilities to practically run WVO...unfortunately, as it stands, I don't have the facilities to store or filter it. The good news is, it looks like algae-bsed fuel is starting to become a reality...

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two reasons:

1) If oil refineries gear up to make more g@$oline, less diesel's available (not sure why, but IIRC it has something to do with the refining process; an oil man can elaborate)

2) Oil companies finally realized that they can pretty much charge whatever they want for diesel...truck drivers are going to pay it regardless of the cost, and "other" diesel sales are trivial in their minds. :puke: -cuss

Either way, it sucks!! I wish I had the facilities to practically run WVO...unfortunately, as it stands, I don't have the facilities to store or filter it. The good news is, it looks like algae-bsed fuel is starting to become a reality...

Its got nothing to do with greedy oil companies price fixing or anything of the nature. It has the most to do with the fact that the military is consuming VASTLY ENORMOUS quantities of it. Its simple supply and demand, also lets not forget that winter is here so demand for heating fuel is up(which is the same thing as diesel).

Im dead smack in the middle of a energy demand, consumption, and policy course and all I have to say is get used to 4$ a gallon transportation fuel. WE WILL NEVER EVER see sustained prices much below that level again...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really don't know if the diesel here in so ca has been changed to "winter blend". I don't think we require that blend here where is very seldom freezes....

pr0craztinazn

Reaction score
Just filled up for $3.79/gal. Usually, the switch-over to winter diesel and separating more refinery production for heating oil drives winter diesel prices up, but today, they dropped by $.20/gal. Although the prices likely won't stay at that level, one can hope for it.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up here in BC, I paid $1.259 a litre or $5.04 per US gallon yesterday (Prince George). No doubt it will increase more as the (so called) demand for heating oil increases.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the price of diesel compared to gasolene... There is only so much product that can be made from a barrel of crude. So as the crude is fractinated in a vacuum tower colume the wanted product is taken off a differant elevations on the tower. Cloeman white gas is taken off way up near the top of the tower. The farther down on the tower the heavier the product is. Diesel is way down on the tower. The bottoms product is usually a black tar. Sometimes its frozen solid at a very hig temp like 400 degrees. So as the crude is pumped into the fractionation tower differant products are removed from the process at differant levels. Never is a complete barrle of crude used completely. The bottoms usually is concidered as waste material. If your wondering how I know this I once worked in a refinery.. It was a living hell because it was a chemical refinery but the distallation process is the same.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I paid $3.69 the other day at the wally world station. and if someone wanted to fool with going in to the actual store and getting one of their gift cards, they could get it for $3.59, but I'd rather take a beating than go in there.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I paid $3.69 the other day at the wally world station. and if someone wanted to fool with going in to the actual store and getting one of their gift cards, they could get it for $3.59, but I'd rather take a beating than go in there.

It isn't that bad. You can buy a new card or reload a used one at the self check outs and not even have to deal with anyone. For $0.10 per gallon it's worth it to me.

Ziggyman

Reaction score
Was 3.69 before the holiday, paid 3.82 this morning in North Iowa. I'm not sure how many people are near or use *** & Go for their fill ups, but I noticed they advertise that they add Power System Diesel Fuel Supplement Plus Cetane Boost (The white bottle anti-gel and fuel treatment) directly to their underground tanks, Do you think its safe to use that? Would you still add your own supplement?