diesel first timer

adriantkt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
thanks for accepting me on your site.
Bought my first diesel truck an 7.3 idi non turbo with an ZF5 and 4wd a little over 303k mi
straight 3'' pipe only mod
im new with everything about diesel so what do you suggest to check if the engine is in good condition?
i will be towing a 2 horse trailer
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Injectors, Injector pump, return line kit, rent a timing meter from gary/icanfixall, beru glowplugs, flush coolant and fill with fleet charge, oil change with a reputable oil and powerstroke size oil filter (I recommend the mobile 1 filter), air filter, fuel filter, differential fluids, brakes if need be done, check the ball joints and steering/suspension bushings, change the trans and transfer case fluid, add in a better trans cooler if auto, electric fuel pump, gauges.

Might be a few other bits and pieces, but that's a good starter list.
Welcome to the site and that's a nice truck. Especially to have 300k miles.

Oh read the faqs, stickies, and tech articles. Especially the hall of shame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats purty
Do fill in the trucks specs in your sig line,
It helps us answer your questions as we can see what you have.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79Jasper gave you a good run down. Me? I just change run the **** out of a new truck for a while and then change the oil if I can't tell how many miles are on it. Yours looks to be well cared for.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

That's a mighty fine truck you got on your hands! My advice being that your new to diesels (same as me). Read, read and read. Read until you get sick and then take a break, drink a beer (or 6) and then comeback and read some more! You wont regret it later on down the road. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Mostly just change the fluids and run it. If the rig was well maintained just run it as is. Any of these trucks have that horrible self adjusting rear brakes. They do not work. What you end up with is the low brake peddle and the creeping truck after a complete stop waiting for the green light. The brake peddle feel is same as a bad master cylinder. Ford knew this and had a recall to install a larger master cylinder. That did little to fix it. Best fix is to use a brake spoon to manually adjust the rears. To test this out of adjustment rears do this. Start the engine and press down the brake peddle. Note how low it is. Now apply some parking brake. Say about 3 clicks. Try the brake peddle again. Did it come up? If it did you have way out of adjustment rear brakes. Another simple test is push down the parking brake. If it nearly reaches the floor before engaging. Then you have way out of adjustment brakes in the back. Thats really the worst of the Ford trucks. The idi engine is really a strong engine. They don't make loys of power but will pull a heavy load just the same. Your rig appears well maintained. Where in cali is Tecate?

adriantkt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank's folks,
already change 2 rear leafs from the passenger side
put some new shocks
clean rear brake system
paint all the chassis
replace rear main seal
oil pressure sensor

right now were rebuilding the transmission
front shaft has some ware were the pilot bearing runs

and the synchros

adriantkt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent looking ride

Welcome to OB

Mostly whats been said..

Read tech and stickies!!!!

Cant wait to see more!!!!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Don't forget to check u joints and center bearing while you have the shafts out. Also lube up transfer case shifter or drill and install a grease fitting. The pivot bolts love to seize up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you seem to have it under control.
While you're in that deep, I would just go ahead and replace all the bearings in the thing. Macks trans and Midwest trans have all the parts. Don't forget you have to set the bearing preload when going back together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk