Diesel engine swap

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just doing a little resurch while my computer loads those big 3-d models :D dont worry everybody gets there work on time.

i posted on a jeep forum to and apperently no-one really has any answers but would like to see it:confused: i might be a lone wolf if i take this one on

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing that would concern me about trying to stuff one in a Jeep, would be the radiator. I doubt the factory one can get anywhere near the cooling power needed, and there isn't enough vehicle there to stuff an IDI one in. However, that said, if I were building it, I'd put the radiator in the bed with a set of those $600 electric fans on it. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Jeeping shouldn't be for him then. Never pays to go cheap.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
ouch,that is a lot of nose weight in a CJ-7....You might want to look into that before you go thought the trouble.Gonna need to beef up the front springs and frame rails....

Exactly what I was thinking. Swan dive into mud hole.;Really ;Really

Interesting project though.

subway

Reaction score
i will just have to balance it out with a sterling or dana 60 in the rear. the frame should be able to handle allot, they dont seem to flinch with 401 swaps. i know not the same but a starting point. you would be surprised with how much weight people put on there jeeps with a v-8 swap, heavy bumpers, winches and other equipment like jacks chainsaws etc.
i am not really into the mudding anyway, more into the trail rides and some rocks if anything. it will be mostly be a road vehicle anyway, i dont beat the hell out of my stuff like i used to. i can get a dirt bike for that.

subway

Reaction score
LOL Jeeping shouldn't be for him then. Never pays to go cheap.

i agree, i am personally not for any chrome accents or anything like chrome diff covers. :rolleyes: i would rather see 1/2 plate welded together for that.

so i guess no body has seen this done.........i cant believe i am the first????

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first to think of it.... probably not. The first to do it? Well, you haven't done it yet. :popcorn

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
I take it this went nowhere. I am thinking of taking the 6.9 out of my truck and putting it in my 76 cj7. With a c6trans. It currently has a fresh 360 in it and kills me at the pump. My main concern is the radiator.

subway

Reaction score
for the most part it stalled with family/military oblogations. it is still in my garage waiting for me though.

if you want i will have to dig up the link but i did talk to a guy who stuffed a 6.0 in a jeep. he has some youtube videos of him tearing it up on the sand dunes.

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im doing this for a cj5 so here it is no t18 wont work
the diesel will need electric fans or you need to cut firewall
axles and springs are obvious
id use ford t case too cause nothing will line up with stock points
so custom drive shafts
if you want turbo youre cuttign out the dash too or a hood bump out
youre and idiot more insane for atempting this
glad to see someone else as nuts as i am lol

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just noticed youre close to me
im rebuiilding the engine now once its done its going ilto the jeep for me to break stuff

subway

Reaction score
i am using the stock transfercase so the axes will line up. i am also using matching dana 44's from a scout. sorry scout guys they were already pulled from someone else. a ford transfercase is to wide to fit into the cj fram and they are chain driven vs the jeep gear driven ones (not to mention they drop the wrong direction).

for the transmission i am using a Ford T-19 with the tail of a scout T-19 to bolt to my transfercase.

my jeep had a 360 and T-18 in it before so i dont know why these parts wouldent fit now. there was plenty of room around the engine. my major concern would be cooling, i am going to try using my heavy duty 4 core that always kept my 360 cool. i am not towing a 5th wheel over the rochies so we will see.

i have most of the parts, just got to get tiem and money now to put it together!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online