diesel conversion

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi - affordable, not as slow as a **** when built some
cummins- spendy, higher power capability.

Everyone thinks that cummins/powerstrokes are all built, fuel plate maxed and/or chipped. I've seen those trucks in bad shape just like most IDIs. Performance tuning isn't something everyone does.

OFC a built stroke or cummins will smoke an IDI. How much money do you want to dump into an engine, how far do you want to go?

We hardly have any dyno info on trucks here that have much performance mods done to them. Heath had ~205 hp and 460 ft/lbs running few modifications. Oilburners is a big community but there are many other communities out there, and tons more people who we don't have contact with. Point being the information we have isn't end-all.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-...-diesels/136622-put-turbo-idi-dyno-today.html

g2g

gcf330

X
Reaction score
I had a second gen cummins before my idi when the building industry went down I had to sell it. By far and I mean FAR a stronger engine and better fuel mileage. And for just a few hundred dollars no idi can touch it no matter the mods on the idi. That being said I like my idi mainly for reliability and ease of.repair and price. so for a swap like this idi is probably ur best bet. Sure with a cummins you can hit 60 psi of boost easy have 400 HP and 800 lb ft but when it tears up get ready to drop some cash. Most repairs to a cummins can cost as much as a whole idi truck. Speaking from.experience

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a cummins will cost more up front, not 4 grand, but 1500 to 2000 will get you a decent one. i would get a ppump 96 or 97 cummins and do the free mods and you got 300 horse. I could almost keep up with a 95 stroke with my 89 na, and if it had a turbo it would have kept up, the difference in stock hp isn't much from an idi to an early stroke. Fab work will take time, but a cummins will give you a lot of power. No idi will keep up with a cummins with similar work done and money. Dont get me wrong, an idi is a great engine and would be cheaper, but a cummins will be more fuel efficient and make more power. Plus a cummins is more of a set the timing and go, vs an idi is pretty finicky.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a cummins with 235hp and an idi with 185hp with no turbo, i hardly see that idi keeping up at all, just sayin

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a non turbo idi keeping up with, or outrunning, a 24 valve cummins, if the VP is failing, its got a stock auto that slips horribly, or the driver doesn't realize there's a race. Other than that, I'm with Darrin on the bs.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen the older Cummins are just as stone cold reliable as an IDI, meaning the P-pumped and VE pump. I really like the sound of the 24V but I've heard scary stuff about the VP pump. I think the fuel economy might not be such a big deal in a 1/2 ton platform as in our 3/4 ton and bigger trucks. Mel's son does really well on fuel in his 94 F150 Flareside "Nightmoose" it has a ZF5 and 6.9 no turbo. He's eeked out 30+ on a road trip, you will not see those #s on a 3/4 or 1 ton IDI truck, but may approach them with a VE pump Cummins and an O/D or better yet 2OD. I bet you could do pretty well in your F150 with an IDI just based on that. Add a turbo and you have waaay plenty of power for a 1/2 ton. In absolute stock trim, the Cummins don't make much more rated HP than the IDI, but it is easy to do the first couple of "free" mods and not even be seeing the IDI with a P-Pump, and VE pumps can reasonably make 300HP with some tweaking. We have yet to prove a streetable IDI can do that. Some folks are working on it.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id rather see an IDI under the hood than a cummins. Damn things are so overrated it makes me sick. They truly are the 350 chevy of the diesel world.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know that they are over rated, the idi is an iron clad engine. But the cummins has got its name for a reason. They can make more power for less all the way up to 98.5 model engines. a powerstroke takes way more money to make power, and the cummins lasts extremely long with little maintenance. Ford uses cummins in their trucks too. To me, a diesel engine is the engine, doesn't reflect the make of the truck.