Diagram or pictures of front freeze plugs?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures to help me out?
I have a leak that I believe is the freeze plug, it's coming from just above or behind where the mechanical fuel pump is. A friend says it could be headgasket but I doubt it. There is no sign of anything in the oil or coolant.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never experienced a leaking freeze plug. But also isn't it possible a head gasket could leak out and not into the cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Very common actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
We'll shoot. I was hoping it was the easy freeze plug and not the headgasket. But I'll find out for sure this evening.
Last night I noticed a small puddle of coolant and thought it was just a loose hose then I ran it and it's a good steady quick drip.
Anyone think I really need the coolant with SCA ?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Very common actually.

Wait... Are you saying it's common for freeze plug to leak? Or headgasket to leak and not go into the cylinder?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Common for the head gaskets to leak and not go into the cylinders.
Unless you can beg/borrow/buy/rent/make the freeze plugs installation tool, probably easier to do the head gaskets. Lol
Should be able to get in with a mirror and light.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common for the head gaskets to leak and not go into the cylinders.
Unless you can beg/borrow/buy/rent/make the freeze plugs installation tool, probably easier to do the head gaskets. Lol
Should be able to get in with a mirror and light.

Doesn't cost a ton at a local shop for the job, about the price of the tool, that's it, except I won't be on a waiting list to get the tool then wait for it to come in, then wait for the weather- and the headache. So I'll have the shop do it if it's the plug. If it's the gasket I can do it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Be careful about your choice of shop. very few people know how to install these plugs properly. Also check your thermostat housing and your top radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. Either one of these could leak coolant. I'd hate for you to pull your head off if it wasn't necessary.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful about your choice of shop. very few people know how to install these plugs properly. Also check your thermostat housing and your top radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. Either one of these could leak coolant. I'd hate for you to pull your head off if it wasn't necessary.
OK it's time for me to get laughed at.
Let this be a lesson for us newbies.
It was the top of the thermostat housing, leaking from the hose on the back side. It crept from the cracks and was looking for sure like either headgasket or freeze plug. Hard to tell with my inch thick custom paint job made from oil and dirt.
I installed the hoses and rad in below freezing weather and now that it is more steadily warm out the hoses are getting room to breathe and open up and seat right.
No more leak. Praise God.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad it was an easy fix. I was bout to ask if this leak was near the passenger side front of the block. Was going to suggest it was the thermostat housing gasket. I too made this mistake many years ago. Had a leak like yours. Took it to a well known shop for head gaskets and they found I have screwed up the new thermostat install. The thermostat and gasket did not seat correctly but it help coolant for bout a month. Then finally leaked causing me to panic thinking head gasket... So I know this welcome feeling of no problem fix.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Glad I could be helpful. I also have had experience with both of those leaks. I was taught to always look for the easiest thing first.