Diagnostic advice needed for 92 IDI.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might go look at a pickumup truck that's not running. Seller told me that everything was fine then started acting like it was running out of gas. Could this be fuel pump, fuel filter, injector pump (or whatever it's called on an IDI)? What should I look for? Thanks.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Look for staying away from it, unless you were there when it was running and new what it was doing when it killed over, it could kill your patience and attention span trying to go through everything it could be..

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for staying away from it, unless you were there when it was running and new what it was doing when it killed over, it could kill your patience and attention span trying to go through everything it could be..

I guess staying away is not an option when you're a glutton for punishment.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, its cool, its just diagnosing someone elses problem is rather difficult, it may not be the fuel at all, could be anything really.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never touched an IDI. Is the lift pump mechanical? Is there a fuel pump in the tank or near it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Bring a fresh fuel filter and a boat can of fuel with the little primer pump and an inline filter in the line like you use for an outboard . First put on the new filter filled with fuel and remove the caps from the fuel tanks ( in case the tank vents are clogged with mud, this can cause fuel starvation by causing a vacuum to form ) then see if it starts with the fresh fuel, if not then take the line from the boat tank and attach it to the line that goes to the pump inlet and have someone crank the engine while you squeeze the primer bulb like a maniac If there was any fuel in the system, the truck should fire quickly, if it was bone dry, you may need to take a 5/8 wrench and crack the injector lines open while doing this at first until fuel appears at some injectors then stop cranking and tighten the wet ones down , then crank some more till more fuel appears and stop , tighten those down, etc until you get fuel at all injectors or it starts. If you do not get fuel at the injectors, obviously the injection pump is toast.
If it fires when you first install the fresh filter lift and IP are good and tank vent is plugged , if not either lift pump or ip bad but boat tank test will tell you weather ip is bad as it bypasses the lift pump ( hint set the boat tank on the roof so it gravity feeds once you get the fuel going make sure you get a long enough hose, I have used this tool for years, it works better than an electric pump for priming a fussy diesel that has been dry)

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Also look for the dumb stuff. Look at how much fuel the gauge reads. If it's sitting at 1/4 of a tank, pour some in. When the "shower head" fuel pickup breaks in these, and they do frequently, the truck runs out of fuel at 1/4 of a tank.