Denver craigslist, wow!

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I didnt even read that! I just kinda skimmed over it real quick. I dont get the statement that it isnt drivable cause the turbo would be doing all the work and will burn it up. :confused: :***:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
He doesn't know his IDI's too well. Turbos didn't start until '94 from the factory.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
He doesn't know his IDI's too well. Turbos didn't start until '94 from the factory.
In the owners manual for my 93 there is info about a turbo diesel in there, it was a optional engine according to the book

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
If only I was not broke from building my shop... That would be a nice one to have. If not for the spare parts then a full running truck.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy says its a 4x4... he says its got about 200k, original engine, and he's owned it since 1996... he's never replaced the IP. Story is that one of the head bolts walked out so it started loosing coolant, he replaced the head gaskets but didn't make a timing mark when he pulled the IP, and its off time cause he put the ip in the wrong spot... ??? Sounds kinda suspicious, you would think if he was willing to change the head gaskets he'd be willing to adjust the pump until it ran right again. I'm gonna go take a look early this week - I'll probably buy it, knowing how I am (whoops!). I need a swimming pool truck... haha... we lined the bed of my old '93 turbo IDI I sold to a friend with plastic liner and dumped 260 gallons of water into the bed on the 4th, and drove around in the "pool" until the tailgate gave out and we almost lost someone in our new waterfall out of the back of the truck. Anyways, I need something to weld the tailgate shut and "do it right"... haha. And I miss my old IDI's... and its only been like 2 weeks...

SKimballC

Reaction score
He may have moved the timing gear out of place when he did the head job. The gear needs to be aligned before the pump can be timed.

Ah. life in Boulderado.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's what I did when I changed the gaskets. It will make a believer of you that the motor is done for until you use that trick to line up the gear teeth again. Pump timing is less of a big deal, but gear timing will make it run like crap, or barely at all, until it is fixed, then if you haven't busted a piston or something, it'll be just like before. Even if its damaged, I'd say you'll make more than $1500 in parts alone off of it, but likely a timing adjustment(gear and pump) is all it needs.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure from 92.5 on you could get a factory turbo motor(C or K VIN code), beefier piston pins and bosses, slightly reduced compression hardened exh. valves etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online