Decisions Decisions Decisions! Help me decide, 7.3 powerstroke or 7.3 IDI

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Help! I have a 1994 F250 4X4 Auto 7.3 IDIT with 174000 miles and I am thinking about trading for a 1995 F250 4X4 5 speed 7.3 turbo Powerstroke with 200000 miles. The story goes that the guy with the powerstroke has some kind of trouble with his legs so driving a 5 speed is really difficult for him. He likes my truck because of the at. I am also throwing in my $3500.00 Quad as well. I like my truck and once I got a few things corrected it has been very reliable for me and I would not be afraid to drive it anywhere. The body and the interior on both trucks are in similar condition. What are some of the downfalls of the powerstroke. I know it will have more power and torque than my truck (it does have a 6 pos chip) but my truck has always had plenty of power for me. I have never been in a situation where I wished I had a different truck. What is the opinion of some of the guys and gals on her about this. Please try to convince me to either trade or not trade. I value all of your opinions so thank you in advance.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if the trucks are in comparable condition, there is no way I would be throwing in 3500$ on top of the deal. If the powerstoke was a 99 up, or in better condition Id think about it. The factory turbo IDI trucks bring close to what a OBS powerstoke truck brings around here anyway...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 95's they had a few bugs to be worked out and the power difference is not a whole lot different if it had no chip and as stated above his is not worth a whole alot more than ur's and he can drive a quad? Not a 5 sp idk about that an u have less miles and yours is cheaper to fix and easier to maintain I would stay with what you know about yours! Knowing pays off in the long run. He should be coming up on a trany rebuild most with that miles are that ive seen. Your truck I would think would be a 4000 to 5000 dollar rig his for 8500 na I just got my girlfriend an 97 2x4 with 86000 miles 2nd owner for 9100!!! It is spot less paint and int are both an easy 8 or 9 on a scales 1 to 10!!!

jtt220

Reaction score
So he can't drive a stick, but he wants your quad?!? Sounds fishy. I wouldn't be taking on an unknown quantity (his Powerstroke) for my sorted IDI. Just my .02, but I would be sticking with the IDI...

DragRag

Reaction score
Pardon my opinion, but unless your truck is beat to hell, there is no way I would throw a thing on top of the deal. If you do that, I will instantaneously deem you a fool. It's your truck/atv/money though, not mine. All kidding aside don't even think about it, that is not a fair trade. An even trade, yes that would be fine.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
I have been thinking about that as well. Like I said before I like my truck. I like how simple it is to work on and how cheep the parts are. I have decided not to trade. Not sure what I was thinking. I would be giving him around $8500. for his truck, I don't think so. Thanks all for the help. I will keep my IDI until it dies and maybe even after that. If he is truely having trouble driving the stick I guess I could just trade him trannies since his is new. lol

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KEEP YOUR TRUCK!!!!! :yell:

Make him give "you" $3500.00!!! And keep the quad, unless he wants to give you another $3500!

If you want that 5spd so bad, why not sell your quad and install one in your truck? :dunno

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You may like the powerstoke until it dies out of the blue somewhere due to a electronic or sensor failure; when you are in a huge hurry...oh and it will be pouring down rain and you will have your best clothes on!!! Then you probably won't like the powerstroke so much anymore lol

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help! I have a 1994 F250 4X4 Auto 7.3 IDIT with 174000 miles and I am thinking about trading for a 1995 F250 4X4 5 speed 7.3 turbo Powerstroke with 200000 miles. I am also throwing in my $3500.00 Quad as well.

A 94 IDIT and 3500.00! For a 95 PS! cookoo

The price of the injectors was enough for me to look at an IDI :eek:

And easy to work on :hail