Decided to swap in 1st gen 6.9

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided that instead of ****** the 6.9 for the fuel injection system to place on the 7.3 ( the one I believe I recently damaged with ether )in my 89 dump truck I'll just swap the entire engine. I'll hit up the tech section here and try to familiarize myself with the process to make it as pain free as possible and hopefully I'll be ready to grip it and rip it by this coming weekend. Currently as it sits it has 85,000 miles on it, the first gen Banks turbo on it and it is the Schweitzer model, not Roto-Master. New BB series injectors and a decently fresh rebuilt pump ( as stated by the gentlemen I purchased it from ). The turbo has a slight bit of end play up in a 360° motion but is fully tight as far as in and out. The guy I bought it from said that is normal as it has a bushing, not a bearing and that oil pressure takes up that tolerance....( * this space reserved for someone to call BS * haha ).

The previous owner was a part time diesel tech and said he had the engine dialed in to operate within safe conditions. Directly before the turbo is the pyro probe. The heads are NOT studded. Since this is going to have to be the work horse for quite a while until my monster second gen 6.9 or DT360 build, it gotta last. I believe I will purchase studs this week and have it ready to go by the weekend unless the general consensus here is they are not needed. Highest boost the guy said he hit was just shy of 12. I'm kinda thinking he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to "safe" operation because that was just driving not towing anything so I bet he has the fuel waaaay wound up higher than it should be. From what I have heard that's pretty high for a stock IDI in general let alone a smaller head bolt 6.9.

Thanks for reading. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
12 psi is not too high for an IDI. It does sound like it may be a little high for a 1st gen Banks turbo. I'm not saying it's impossible. Definately stud the heads! The 6.9 and 7.3 are a direct bolt in swap. They are basically the same on the outside. Everything will work on either engine. Be careful of the factory engine heater on those engines. You can crack your block if you're not careful. I always plugged mine in when I had the engine at operating temperature. A lot of people don't even use them.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have already but Use the 7.3 filter housing with a napa 3417. It's a filter and water separator in one. Instead of the stock 2 piece filter/separator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online