decided to get back to my roots.......

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
well, I grew up a Ford gas engine guy, and I saw my current daily driver toy sitting outside a guys house for the past 2 years without moving and finally went over and knocked on his door about 2 weeks ago

(pictures will be here soon, windows 7 won't recognize the old camera)

picked up the 1972 F-250 in my sig for $450 from him simply because he had lost the keys and couldn't get the doors unlocked, spent all my free time since I got it getting the thing ready for the road, and now it's like a bat outta hell

got it running, and dumped my entire vehicle budget (and then some) into the engine

got it going with some good gas and a new set of plugs, wires, and points, then the fun began

the guy swore the mileage was accurate (28k on the clock), but I didn't believe him, so I pulled out the 360 to tear down even though it seemed tight

basically no cylinder wear, even had some crosshatches still showing to my surprise, so I got the block steam cleaned and bored .035 over

all new 390 internals including a comp cams Thumpr cam with hydraulic rollers, Performer RPM heads, and Offenhauser 5960 manifold and a Holley 750cfm Dominator HP carb to feed the beast

yeah, the ***** might be fugly, but it'll tear the **** right outta the cars around here LOL

it had a work body on it, but I had to put a homemade flatbed on it for weight, used 4 full sticks of 1x3x1/4" wall steel tube for a frame, and I'm waiting till it's warmer to drop a sheet of 1/4" plate onto it

now to find a way to bolt a ZF-6 up to that 360 (I know it's actually a 429 since it's bored and stroked, but I'm gonna always call it my 360)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
So why do you say it's a 429? even if you have a 390 crank you cannot bore a 360/390 block enough to achieve 429 cubic inches with the 3.78 crank

Forget about a zf6 bolting up.... get a Tko 500 and you've got a 5speed, get a t56 if you just need to have a 6 speed double OD.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
390 Guts in a 360 makes a 360, no more, no less.
Good luck trying to make a ZF6 work, your FE bell is nothing like the mod motor or PSD bell...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I assumed when he said it had 390 internals that meant a crankshaft, rods, pistons.

Still with a 390 crank, the largest overbore would get you to 406 with paper thin walls and not all of them can go that far.