Dealership costs

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well as an update to dads 86 F-250 SC SRW 4x2 GP dilema.
Got a call from him today and the delership got 6 of the 8 GP's out and could/would not remove the remaining 2 lodged in. Not sure which ones but will know tonight as they are gonna let him have it back for $900 and some change. :puke: :puke: :puke:
Yep saw that right. They also changed the GP controller, 2 new batteries and swapped out a leaky PS pump that the bearings were going south on.
For all that and in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks. :eek:
Told him they were gonna take him but that was bad!
Niles Campbell Ford Lincoln Mercury was the dealership.
I could just see em scratchin their heads as to the thoughts of what is this? :rtfm
Yep told him that was gonna be the case with the GP's but he figured he'd let em do it to save me from having to yank a head when I knocked one off in the head.
Oh well He's happy it's back but will take alot of wood hauling to recoupe the costs. :idiot:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap!!!! :eek: 900 clams!! :eek: Geez they shoulda replaced all 8 with gold plated ones!! Wow!! What was the total hours spent? And how much per hour??
I'm glad all is well but wow again! You gonna try to get to the other two or just leave well enough alone?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Lets see 2 1/2 weeks @40hrs per week. ok 100hrs @ $900 that's only $9.00 per hour.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
did he have to take it to the stealership 'cause you didn't know how to do the work? :eek: :kick:

c'mon, Doggie - 9 bills ain't that bad is it?
really - i bet a Furd GPC is a $300 part, 2 fresh batts, 6 ( -cuss ) GPs & a PS pump? that brings us to what? $600 in OE parts?
i'd be more pissed about the 2 1/2 weeks, myself. :backoff

although, like we alked about earlier (& i know you told him this) it would've been a great time to switch over to a 7.3 GP system...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My local dealership won't even work on a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. I asked them about getting mine timed and they said we don't touch that junk! :mad:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post the name of the dealer! That way when folks do a Google search, they might find out they aren't any good. As for your Dad Ron, I would certainly leave those 2 swollen glow plugs disconnected, and take them out at first chance using the Zigg method.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Campbell Ford Lincoln-Mercury Inc
1990 South 11th Street
Niles, MI 49120

269-684-3559

They are not on our system so he was not paying for me to surf the net! :rotflmao

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I'd like to see the breakdown of the invoice. Us dealership techs aren't all crooks. Some of us are, though. I have seen a fair share of that!!
John

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
That aint nuthin... Had an '05 subaru w/7000 miles in a front end crunch, body shop guy disasembeled the front & sent it to the local subie stealership, $500 for an inspection, did not move the car off the lot into the shop, did no disasembely themselves and there was no damage evident to the engine from the outside, said it needs a new engine for $8000, thus the car was totaled by insurance, the same day they are on the phone trying to sell a brand new car for more than they were paid for the first car and saying it was a better deal... The replacement was not purchaced there.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I used to work for a dealership and I bet Ford would love to hear that they will not work on your 6.9 or 7.3 and they are not supporting there product. Thatis why dealerships are required have service depts to support the product warranty or customer pay issues.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
WHOLEY SMOKES - didn't even get all of them out... So much for that idear...

So I guess your play diesel mechanic here soon huh?

Now for the 900 bucks - let's face it folks labor rates are going up so it does not surprise me - last time I checked the rates in my neck of the woods was running 60+ bucks an hour for diesels (non dealership rates) did not check the dealership.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
I used to work for a dealership and I bet Ford would love to hear that they will not work on your 6.9 or 7.3 and they are not supporting there product. Thatis why dealerships are required have service depts to support the product warranty or customer pay issues.

I don't think there are any warranty issues left with the 6.9 or 7.3. While it's true that we have to service vehicles during the warranty period, once they are out of warranty, we have the right to refuse to work on them. If the dealership feels that they are not qualified or do not want to spend the time on old stuff, they can refuse. I am sure the techs in the shop would be pissed that work is being turned away. Sometimes, working on old stuff, especally things that have been modified, can open up a BIG can of worms that we would rather not get involved in.
John

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
My local dealership won't even work on a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. I asked them about getting mine timed and they said we don't touch that junk!
The local International dealer checked and adjusted the timing last year. The bill was $65 and I got a shop tour with the manager while the mechanic did the work.
Quicker, more knowledgeable mechanic and much cheaper than the Ford dealer. :D

Last edited:

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
900$ stinks but what is worse is that with only 6 new ones i'd bet the good ones will burn out real fast then your back to er not starting agian so what did you pay for. i think i'd be talking to fomoco about the poor support after the sale and see what they would do. then pull the heads to see if there are any tips inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86