Dead injector=Dead truck??

94IDIT

Reaction score
So I know a guy that has an 86 f250 6.9 that's been laying around his place for years. So i asked him what was wrong with it and he said that it has a bad injector and therefore no longer runs. My question is, can a bad injector cause a truck not to start??:dunno hopefully this isnt a dumb question...

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see how it can. I know a guy who ran a PSD on 3 bad injectors, it just means 1 cylinder wouldnt be working.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's stuck open and ****** fuel in the cylinder it will make for knock out of this world, which would pretty much render an engine inop (if the owner has any common sense at least).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A bad injector will only cause that one cylinder to not fire. Its the same idea as one bad spark plug not allowing a gas motor to start. How dose this guy know its just one or maybe two bad injectors. Sounds like bad fuel or no fuel issues. Maybe a starter that wont crank the motor fast enough to fuel. These diesels all start the same way. The piston compresses the inlet charge till it builds up to at least 944 degrees for the diesel to ignite. When you compress air ir gets hot. At or just before tdc the injector squirts in some diesel and it lites off in the hot air.... Hopefully. If the motor cranks slowly it wont make much heat and the diesel wont burn. Thats when you really need some good glow plugs to get the air hot. One it fires a few cylinders its hopefully off and running.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Ok thanks, you guys have pretty much confirmed exactly what i thought. The only reason i asked is that this neighbor is pretty darn handy and he owns at least ten idi's in various states of repair. So I thought he might know what he was talking about. Apparently not. I was kinda thinking glowplugs or ip. He's pretty much giving the truck away, so I thought I might snipe it up.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, you guys have pretty much confirmed exactly what i thought. The only reason i asked is that this neighbor is pretty darn handy and he owns at least ten idi's in various states of repair. So I thought he might know what he was talking about. Apparently not. I was kinda thinking glowplugs or ip. He's pretty much giving the truck away, so I thought I might snipe it up.

:eek: 10 IDI's! That sounds like a sweet neighbor to have!

94IDIT

Reaction score
:eek: 10 IDI's! That sounds like a sweet neighbor to have!

Yeah he's a pretty cool old timer. Aside from selling a few idi's he's also selling a 96 powerstroke ex cab 4x4 for 300! the only problem with is is he broke a front spring, other than that the thing runs great. I might look into picking that one up too:sly

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah he's a pretty cool old timer. Aside from selling a few idi's he's also selling a 96 powerstroke ex cab 4x4 for 300! the only problem with is is he broke a front spring, other than that the thing runs great. I might look into picking that one up too:sly

Does he have any Crew cabs for cheap.

Ill drive out there for that powerstroke lol.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the PS deal is legit, I will come pick it up.Are you serious? Can you get me a few pictures?

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
If an injector decided call in sick and lock up it could break the pump input shaft, I had a 6.5 do it a while ago

94IDIT

Reaction score
If the PS deal is legit, I will come pick it up.Are you serious? Can you get me a few pictures?

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was serious when he said 300. I can go over to his place sometime when he gets back home next week. It's got 300k on it with an E4, other than that I don't know a whole lot about it.