dead headlight

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
alrighty, here we go again, i was driving down the road, hit a deer with the left side of the truck, knocked out the headlight.... replaced asm and bulb with a new one now have no left headlight? i got no power at the pigtail, but power at the switch going in and out.... what am i missing? gotta try and get this fixed as i spend most of the time driving at night.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm far from knowing whats wrong but try opening up connections and work your way back to the dash switch. You might find the issue near the point of the collision too because of the power hitting the deer. Might have been a short waiting for a jolt or a ground has been broken too. I think we have grounds connected on top of the core support near the battery cables that runs from side to side battery..

Reaction score
OK, this doesn't help you get to the root cause, but a potential solution is to install the headlight wiring kit from LMC truck. This is the one that sets up the headlights to be powered off the batteries (using relays), as opposed to being powered off the headlight switch. It results in brighter lights and reduces the risk of frying the headlight switch.

This will fix your problem because the harness only requires you to plug one of the original headlight harnesses in. It uses that voltage as the trigger for the relay. I'm pretty sure it uses the passenger side, but I need to double-check that. Even if it wasn't, a bit of wiring on your part would take care of it. So, if your passenger side works, this would fix your problem.

My $.02

Mike

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
found the problem.... low beam wire burnt thru at the dimmer switch.... the low on the pass side wasnt working either, was the high beam shorting thru ground making it light up... i guess its time to do some repair wiring when i get home...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem. now figure out why it happened or it will come back later.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wire behind the light prolly got smashed and grounded in the crash

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those floor mounted dimmer switches lead a rough life down there, they all seem to have trouble eventually. This may be one of those strange coincidences.