DB2 Pump Internals

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everyone should watch that vid, gives you a lot of pause as to how you treat it & what you put into it!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I realize our engines can and do run on most any oil be it waste or fryer waste oil. Even jet fuel will burn nicely. I just can't run anything but the diesel out of the pumps where I fuel up. Way back in the mid 80s I was filling up at a station that was privately owned near the ocean ports of Los Angeles. They constantly beat any price by sometimes 20 cents a gallon. Long lines of cargo trucks being driven by undocs driving nearly wrecked big rigs out of the port. Ended up being investigated for fraud. turns out they were buying and selling jet fuel and the government was not getting their tax fees. The owner and his brothers were from some far away middle eastern land... Go figure...:rolleyes:

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great video. Nice ten minute break in the work day. It helps to see a cutaway in motion. For what it is worth, I did find a Stanadyne DB2 shop manual on the internet somewhere. It is a good resource to flip through when you are curious.

I'm sure it's commonly known, but what is normally serviced as the pump ages? I'd assume the three seals towards the crank case, a few springs, and the plungers depending on tolerances? Put another way, what are the wear items and normal wear and tear components of the pump?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DB2 is truly a Marvelous piece of "machinery", just think of how many revolutions it has made in a 100,000 miles, like a Timex watch, just keeps ticking.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The area that is most likely to wear out is the actual pumping chamber. Thats the rollers to the ring area where the pressure is made. Its shown just to the end of the red painted ports on this pump. Watch the vid and see the rollers moving around to make pressure. Another area that has worn out too is the plunger on the drivers side of the pump. that seal wears out. Every time the throttle is moved this plunger slides in or out. We can buy seal kits on ebay but know this first. You need a calibration bench to recalibrate the pump after a tear down. And the seal kit consists of approx 60 or 70 seals and gaskets.:eek: I know a little about a lot of things. I still wont take apart one of these pumps. I trust Mel for that.:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great video. Nice ten minute break in the work day. It helps to see a cutaway in motion. For what it is worth, I did find a Stanadyne DB2 shop manual on the internet somewhere. It is a good resource to flip through when you are curious.

I'm sure it's commonly known, but what is normally serviced as the pump ages? I'd assume the three seals towards the crank case, a few springs, and the plungers depending on tolerances? Put another way, what are the wear items and normal wear and tear components of the pump?

The wear items are all the valves, seals, primary pump surfaces, head and rotor faces, thrust washers, cams, rollers, pistons and springs. There may be other items that should be replaced depending on their condition.

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The area that is most likely to wear out is the actual pumping chamber. Thats the rollers to the ring area where the pressure is made. Its shown just to the end of the red painted ports on this pump. Watch the vid and see the rollers moving around to make pressure. Another area that has worn out too is the plunger on the drivers side of the pump. that seal wears out. Every time the throttle is moved this plunger slides in or out. We can buy seal kits on ebay but know this first. You need a calibration bench to recalibrate the pump after a tear down. And the seal kit consists of approx 60 or 70 seals and gaskets.:eek: I know a little about a lot of things. I still wont take apart one of these pumps. I trust Mel for that.:thumbsup:

Thanks. I was curious. It's not apparent off of normal operation what would wear out, that's all. Seems the best thing to prevent early failure on most of those parts is to keep the fuel supply clean, keep the fuel supply steady, and keep the fuel supply slippy.

I've flipped through the db2 service manual several times. Considering that I can't even rebuild a power steering pump without messing things up, you won't see me tearing into an injection pump with any intentions of it running again.

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wear items are all the valves, seals, primary pump surfaces, head and rotor faces, thrust washers, cams, rollers, pistons and springs. There may be other items that should be replaced depending on their condition.

When things like the rotors and head faces wear out, are there still current suppliers for them? Or are you basically stuck polishing them as best you can? I'd guess it frequently comes down to taking the best out of the guts of a few different cores.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both oem Stanadyne parts and the so called offshore imports are available. Mel uses only the oem Stanadyne parts. This is why we put our trust in what he builds. You can depend on what comes out of Conestoga Diesel Injection.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question, but here goes.
For priming a "dry or empty" pump, with a electric pump pushing fuel, turning the engine by hand, could that prime the pump before using the starter???

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both oem Stanadyne parts and the so called offshore imports are available. Mel uses only the oem Stanadyne parts. This is why we put our trust in what he builds. You can depend on what comes out of Conestoga Diesel Injection.

Great to hear! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The calibrating fluid that is left over from testing the pump is adequate to protect it prior to the engine starting. With regard to the questions regarding worn surfaces, there are some parts that can be re-used, and others that cannot. Some parts only wear on one side, so it is possible to flip them over and use the back side with no ill effects. In fact, this is one of the ways we can tell how many times a pump may have been rebuilt. Some parts that have a wear allowance can be resurfaced, as long as they are thick enough. Head and rotor stuff though... that's a throw away item when its bad.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Always good to hear what Mel has to say about DB2 pumps. I sure would like to see these pumps rebuilt and calibrated. Watching them come apart and be rebuilt still wont tell me I can handle it. But knowing is knowledge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online