Day From HELLLLLLLL!!!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i went to help my friend get a truck today. woke up at 8:30..after drinking till 2:30...cookoo...went to the junkyard for some door hinge bolts for the scout, then got a aircleaner off a van for the scout :D. i went to get the trailer, my friend borrowed my hitch pin! -cuss had to run across town to get it, got the trailer hooked up. off to shickshinny, don't know if anyone is from there or knows of it, but it covers hick town dead on...no offense to anyone. LOL get there and the s10 is in the woods kinda behind what looks like a large shed...they called it a "garage" :dunno. the guy was having the truck molested...or uhh..."worked on" there by this guy (mabe 24 years old) who looked like he belonged in a failing punk band. :rolleyes: the guy beat his 2wd GAS 250 up the slight snowy grade to go pull out the s10. no suprise, the s10 didn't budge. i said, i'll back my truck and trailer up there to drag it out. as i started my 250 i heard a metallic "clunk"...:puke:...i pulled up and no power steering. :mad:-cuss my first guess is an idler pulley. pop the hood and see the vac. pump pulley crooked and sheered off the base that attaches to the vac. pump snout. great an hour from home and i'm fudged. what to do..autozoo won't have this! by this time the garage "owner" appears in a farted out smashed donut-tire-blinging eclipse. i ask for a welder i'll burn that pulley back on!! he says he has one but not here, so i ask if he could get it while i run to the 'zoo for a pulley puller. we head off 25 minutes away and get the puller, come back, he's still there, no welder...***?!!! he runs to get it while i pull the chunk off the shaft. comes back with a harbor freight special that appears to have been either run over by a truck or brutially sexually molested by mr. crackcanic...:confused: i ask for a grinder (why bother???) he says hold on and walks into the garage, i "set up?" the welder, about 10 min pass no grinder, i poke my head in the door "hey that grinder?" he says oh don't have one (as i tear his head off in my mind)i ask "ok anything to scuff the metal". he asks if i could use a grinder wheel (where the fcks the grinder?!!!)... "no" i reply, then he turns up a wire brush with 4 tired looking bristles remaining on it.... i "clean" the pulley :rolleyes:. as i pushed the piece into the pulley i realize theres no mask. mind you i'm plugged into a alum. pole with wires hanging out of it in the middle of a snow covered dirt lot. what does it matter i think to myself. i stab the welder at the pulley 10 or 15 times and apply what appears to be petrified pigeion **** to whats left of a vac. pump pulley. life is good :rotflmao. half blinded by the welder flash i attempt to reinstall my masterpiece, not wanting to ask for anymore tools i half force it back on with my leatherman and a hammer. great! good enough for government work. frusturated by now i cannot figure out the serp. belt puzzle (belt only has a nick in it). the guy points out the diagram above my head on the hood! got it, perfect! pulley is prettyyyy straight suprisingly. i back up the hill and chain the s10 to the trailer and drag the whole damn operation down the hill. got it loaded up and headed home, leaving the welder out in the snow and not caring a bit. get back and attempt to back it up the snow and ice covered driveway, as i'm backing up the trailer tire brushes the steel basement doors and the ONLY small bolt head on the doors shreds the trailer tire! :frustrate i shoved the trailer up the driveway and pushed the truck off. i went to get a spare tire for it, which is also flat and won't reseat the bead. i gave up for the night. hopefully the local pull a part is open tomorrow, they were in the summer. i'm sure the 250 is in flames in my driveway right now, if it's not i'll be suprised. yes i had a wonderful day, i wish i stayed in my warm bed and not outside in 7 degree weather all day. just had to vent, figured you guys would get a kick out of my misery..... :backoffLOL

-Jon

Attachments

• 0109001505.jpg
    0109001505.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 58

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, At least your truck got you home though. Gotta give em that, they (knock on wood) get you home.

btw I wonder if the "mechanic" you met today is related to or knows me (hence my username LOL)

punk

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
if it were a v-belt i woulda just cut one, as long as the w/p was turning i would be good!! who needs brakes?! i got 4 gears and a plow! cookoo but yes i made it back. haha as i typed that i thought of you LOL but i didn't mean it toward or against you, i'm positive you have a fully functioning brain and your aunt isn't also your mother. ;Sweet

-Jon

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Yeah brain functions for the most part. I have met people that fit the description you give and quite simply "cringe". Not only am I punk rock, but I crew up in smalltownnowherehickville. How I turned out this way is anyones guess. I take all the credit, but my parents gave me a great foundation, I just added the "color". LOL

glad to hear your home safe. At least know you can put the petrified pigeon **** on the shop wall as a reminder of times gone by.

punk

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Holy crap man! That sounds exactly like one of my normal days trying to accomplish a project.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that sucked while it was going on, but in 20 years you'll look back on this story and laugh.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have all been there and if we havent we will be.
I thought you were describing punks garage there for a minute , but he would never work on an s10, an idi wont fit.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a day quite like that but my struggle to correct mistakes in my E4OD does come pretty close. Only that was spread out over a month or so.

Blown overdrive section and only the 2 bottom gears, but it got me home.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds familiar for sure...glad you got home safe!

I know just the type of mechanawrecknick your talking bout!

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

That day my friend, you were the bug! ;Sweet