dana 44 solid axle questions.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
bought my old truck back. 1993 f250 4x4 7.3 idi zf5. has the dana 50 ttb. wanting to swap an axle in from a 78 f250.its a dana 44. not sure what all it would take to put it under the truck. i know i would have to move the spring purches but other than that im lost. minor cutting/welding/fabbing is not a big deal. any help or advice is greatly appreciated! ;Sweet

I CANT AFFORD A DANA 60 SO THATS OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR NOW.

THANKS! :thumbsup:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I have spoke with 93f250idi via txt message. I have explained to him both his options for a 44 and a 60 swap. Told him everything he needs to know about the 60 swap due to my truck just getting one. He asked me a couple ? about the dana 44 swap. I know the purchases as he has mentioned must be moved outward? i believe. Aside from that i am of no more help lol.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
He has a chance to get a 44 for no more than a penny you find on the street. If he wants to take advantage of that deal then i think he should do it. I have already explained to him how easy the 60 would be. He doesnt mind fab work and i think thats half the fun anyway. His ? was about how to swap a dana 44 not to have everyone post saying "save your money and get a 60" he knows his options.

DragRag

Reaction score
I had the d44 in my E250 van in my avatar, and had no problems with it. I was not beating on it though.

Last edited:

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least with the 44 you have an infinite selection of upgrade parts available that the 50 doesnt. I know a 60 would be ideal, but in my opinion, any solid axle is an upgrade for these trucks.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The steering system is totally different. I also believe the D44's pumking is closer to the center of the truck. This would force a suspension lift and lowering of the bumpstops. I was going to give a D44hd out of a '77 F250 to be swapped into an '89 F250 4x4. We parked the two trucks next to each other and deemed it not worth the aggravation at that time. A rebuit D50 TTB front is very underrated. With a little stiffer leaf spring and a good alignment, they are probably 2nd in line to the D60. My brother has an '86 F250 6.9 and had a '95 PSD F250. Both see plow duty every winter and have held up very well. Unless you are wheeling hard with 35" or bigger tires, the D50 is very adequate.

Chances are the D44 you are looking at will need inner axle seals, ball joints and such. That coin spent on the D50 will get you a better product in the end. Remember, from 80-85 the TTB D50 was a one ton rear;Really

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
got the axle today for free. dana 44 8 lug with 4:10 gears. what all mods would it take for the steering? i can all the parts i want off the truck for free/cheap

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all u need is a a stock f350 stearing the po of my truck swaped in a dana 44 if u dont lift ur truck u shouldnt have a problem

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Just picked up a '79 Dana 44 (8-lug) myself... considering putting it in the '57 IH. Would prefer a 60, but...:dunno

Pros: The '77-79 Dana 44's are high pinion (stronger) and have 3" tubes that are extremely thick (1/2"). The rockcrawling world has aftermarket support that allows you to build this axle to be nearly as strong as a stock Dana 60.

I would never wheel this hard. Just want it for those times when you need a little extra traction.

Cons: Smaller ring and pinion may not take the torque of a IH 420-444 motor compounded through a low geared trans and case.

I don't see the spindles being that big of an issue on a single cab. I sure don't think it would be too good under a crew cab.

Light duty use of one of these 'Mega 44's' would be Ok I think. Look at all the jacked up '79 Fords that used to run around with 460's and 36" Groundhawgs. Not my first choice, but I bet it would live a long life in most applications.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Light duty use of one of these 'Mega 44's' would be Ok I think. Look at all the jacked up '79 Fords that used to run around with 460's and 36" Groundhawgs. Not my first choice, but I bet it would live a long life in most applications.

All the 70s trucks I have seen w Dana 44s and any tire over 35s were always broke. There us a reason the dana 60 is such high demand

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a wrecker that has something like 3 high pinion dana60s in his yard. 2 are kingpin type (one off an 86 crewcab, and the other off a late 70s), while the third one is ball joint (91 I think). He also has some dana44 HPs that are winking at me but after my latest MPG numbers I don't want to raise my truck any higher to get 4wd.

From what I read, the 70s Dana44 high pinion axles are quite tough and will survive most situations. For rock crawling or running above stock tires (while crawling) might be another matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online