D60 Swap Transfer Case output Yoke HELP!

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI,
So far so good on my D60 swap, it sits under the truck very well at the moment, but then ran into problems. My truck details are in my signature and the donor for the D60 swap was burnt down 1990 F350. Only problem so far occurred today with front driveshaft. I've got new double cardan joint shaft for 1990 F350 that i would like to install. So i just removed the output yoke and was about install new yoke to it, but then i noticed they're different :eek: . If you look at the attached picture, the one with 31 square splines was the one that i removed from my truck and that 32 v-groove splined was supposed to go in. That 32 spline yoke is Dana part# 2-4-5441 which i thought was the right for my application, but i guess i was wrong. So what's the correct Yoke i need to get the front driveshaft installed...
Thanks..

Click the pics for larger one
Yoke pic, right one was on truck and left is 2-4-5441:
You must be registered for see images

Driveshaft mount to yoke

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the yoke from the tcase of the burnt truck. Would likely be a Ford part. Sorry to say but that's what I'd expect. Maybe someone here has a spare for ya?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show me a picture of your transfer case pls. I just went thru the same BS, donor truck had a Borg-Warner case and so that's the yoke I got, but my own Borg-Warner case turned out to be DOA so I replaced it with a New Process case, which of course uses different yoke. Yokes were identical in OD, but shaft dia and/or splice count must have been different, I wasn't motivated enough to find out exactly *** was the problem. Anyways, tell us what transfer case you're working with, a picture of its rear half will be sufficient, and make sure it shows the yoke for the rear driveshaft as well (this is important because on my NP case the rear yoke turned out to be a perfect match for the front shaft so that's where it is now, the rear shaft being single-cardan can run a conversion joint if need be, I'm not to that point just yet).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"if" your transfer case is a BW1356, the yoke on the right of the two in the pic, is the one you need.

Attachments

• SL376004.JPG
    SL376004.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 19
  • SL376005.JPG
    SL376005.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 16
  • SL376006.JPG
    SL376006.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 14
  • SL376007.JPG
    SL376007.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 15

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked what I got, my BW 1356 is 31 splines and my NP 208 is 32. So what you have in the truck is a Borg Warner case, which is correct for your model year, it's likely a BW 1356 too. A '90 model could still have the BW 1345 case tho, which apparently could be had with both 31 and 32 spline counts. Since the shaft you got is for '90 truck, my guess is you were given a yoke for a 32-spline BW1345 case. Ironically my driveshaft came from a '87 truck with a BW1345 case, and it was a 31-spline case and the yoke fit my BW 1356 perfectly. The only markings I see on that yoke say "56-2". As opposed to my regular yoke that says "56-1" on it.

Edit: keep in mind that my '87 double-cardan driveshaft uses 1330 u-joints and the "56-2" yoke is for them. No idea what markings a yoke for 1350 joints will have... Of the two yokes Towcat posted pictures of, the one on the left is for 1330 u-joints, the one on the right is for the larger 1350 joints. So you could need either one of them, depending in what joints the shaft has now. Measure the cap dia, 1.062" is 1330 and calls for the yoke on the left, 1.125" is 1350 and uses yoke on the right.

Last edited:

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case is a BW1356. Just checked that according to Rockauto's catalog both 1990 and 1993 F350 has a BW1356 and front driveshaft is the same from 85-94. And did measure that u-joint also and it's 1330 style 1.062" cups. I guess that yoke i was trying to replace is for NP cases. Sorry to say that it isn't possible to get parts from that burnt truck anymore. By the time i got there, engine, transmission and transfer case was already bought by some other dude. I got the complete suspension with both front and rear axles, so it wasn't a bad deal, but would have been nice to get the yoke also.

So my next question is, do you know anyone who would have that yoke? Or some shop to buy from? Or Ford part#? This really would come in need. Real Ford trucks aren't very common here and i did hit gold once when i got the suspension and axles, but i doubt i have same luck with the yoke.

Here's the pics:

and

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a BW1356 indeed, same as mine actually, down to the speedometer hole and the 2AD label and the lack of mounting bosses for electric shift motor (later cases have them cast in the rear half even if they're not used). You said thatdriveshaft is new, who did you buy it from? The NP208 case stopped being an option in '86, so I kinda doubt that's the yoke they gave you for a '90 model shaft, but who knows.... I'd say get a hold of Drive Line Service of Fresno (http://www.drive-lines.com), they have huge listings of all sorts of yokes down to part numbers and dimensions, so I'm guessing they will have the resources to cross-reference what you need to what current offerings are.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a yoke that I can pull dimensions off of, but it's not for sale individually. I can loan it to my local driveline shop and they can measure up and order in the part. once again, the yoke I am talking about is the one on the right side in my posted pics.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a BW1356 indeed, same as mine actually, down to the speedometer hole and the 2AD label and the lack of mounting bosses for electric shift motor (later cases have them cast in the rear half even if they're not used). You said that driveshaft is new, who did you buy it from? The NP208 case stopped being an option in '86, so I kinda doubt that's the yoke they gave you for a '90 model shaft, but who knows.... I'd say get a hold of Drive Line Service of Fresno (http://www.drive-lines.com), they have huge listings of all sorts of yokes down to part numbers and dimensions, so I'm guessing they will have the resources to cross-reference what you need to what current offerings are.

Actually i'm the only one who to blame for the wrong yoke. It's not so easy to go to the shops here and try to buy parts for these trucks. These have never been officially imported here so you can't find anything from local shop, and the ones that have something for these, only keep normal service parts in stock and all the other stuff have delivery time anywhere from 3-10 weeks. If i was into Chevy trucks, it would be totally different situations. So i usually buy stuff that i need directly from US and i bought the driveshaft from Rockauto. That driveshaft is correct one, it has all the same mounting points as are in the one that came from the burnt truck and yoke to driveshaft is for the same 1.062" u-joint too. Reason i bought new shaft was, i calculated it will come cheaper to me to buy new, instead of shorten the shaft (from auto to manual trans) and to replace and buy every moving component to it. I'll have to look for that Drive-Lines site, but before that i'll take towcats road... Thanks for your input

i have a yoke that I can pull dimensions off of, but it's not for sale individually. I can loan it to my local driveline shop and they can measure up and order in the part. once again, the yoke I am talking about is the one on the right side in my posted pics.

Thanks, i sent you a pm!

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer Iowa 73, but i already got a deal going on with towcat..

BTW. today was the first test with the new front. Tires aren't aligned yet, but it was much nicer feel than the old ttb with skyjacker 4" lift, those were hard compared to this setup. No it has original f350 leafs and it sits maybe too low for my eyes, but definitely too low for my tires. Now when i turn wheels, they start to scrub to fender flares. So now i need to think do i want smaller tires or do i lift the truck a bit. I thought the 35" with f350 suspension and 2" body lift would clear, but i guess 12" wide wheels put the tires too wide out of the truck. And in all this x-ray doctor told me today that i have broken bone in my finger, so i have to take it a bit easier for the next couple of weeks :backoff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i haven't pulled a sample yet, so if you want to proceed with Iowa73's yoke, i'm all good. I can still get the bolts to you since those are a service item.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I thought the 35" with f350 suspension and 2" body lift would clear, but i guess 12" wide wheels put the tires too wide out of the truck.

I swapped my D60 in with the 4" springs from the TTB. I clear 37's no problem... No body lift either.

You must be registered for see images attach

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't pulled a sample yet, so if you want to proceed with Iowa73's yoke, i'm all good. I can still get the bolts to you since those are a service item.

Ok, i'll ask Iowa 73

I swapped my D60 in with the 4" springs from the TTB. I clear 37's no problem... No body lift either.

You must be registered for see images attach

How stiff ride did those make? I thought they were ******* my ttb and i'm in under impression that d60 doesn't need as stiff leafs as ttb does, so basically it would mean more stiffer ride than with ttb. For some reason i don't see the attached pic. BTW. you've got pm...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'll ask Iowa 73

How stiff ride did those make? I thought they were ******* my ttb and i'm in under impression that d60 doesn't need as stiff leafs as ttb does, so basically it would mean more stiffer ride than with ttb. For some reason i don't see the attached pic. BTW. you've got pm...
really bad idea to use TTB springs on a solid axle. TTB springs are designed with a "reverse arch" concept. even a 4in lift still has the spring rates in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online