Cylinder Head Removal

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the IP need to come off to replace the cylinder head gasket? The other day it started leaking anti freeze, after going to the car wash, and filling one of the glow plug areas with anti-freeze, I can't figure out where the anti freeze is coming from other than possibly pushing it up past the head gasket. any idea on this? Also whats the weight on a truck like this? I am moving across the country and was thinking of sticking it on one of those Penske trailers (only rated to 4500 lbs) think it would make it? 1750 miles

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roughly a 4500lb-5500 lb vehicle depending on how its set up. Might be pushing it on a trailer that small. Maybe you should fix the truck and drive it where you're going instead of trailer it? You'll need to pull the pump to d head gaskets. Its not hard, but its tedious and a lot of labor. The key thing is that you must untorque the head bolts in the reverse of the original torque sequnece, you'll need a good torque wrench and a manual, a gasket set, and you want to have the head and deck mating surfaces clean enough to eat off of. Its also a good idea to have a machine shope pressure chaeck and magnaflux the heads to avoid the outside possibility fo puttinga bad head back on. You'll also want to chase the threads in the block preferably with a bottoming tap. Many people insist you need to replace the head bolts, but many others, myself included have reused bolts successfully. The main thing is, make sure to use the reverse torque sequence on head removal to avoid cracking and warping them, use the right torque sequence and a properly calibrated torque wrench when applying the heads and make sure to get the mating surfaces very clean. Do that and you'll be ok.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It could possibly be leaking past the intake manifold gasket. Most 6.9 heads have 4 open coolant ports facing the intake manifold that are sealed by the intake manifold/ valley pan gasket, the 7.3 heads have stainless steel freeze plugs in those holes. that makes two today with coolant leaks there.
Might try retorquing the thing :confused: just to see what happens.

If it were the head gasket you wouldn't think it would be able to pool up above the valley pan gasket into the glow plug area. it would have to run up hill to do that.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Let me add for emphasis to Diesel JD'S post, above,
When you remove the head bolts, follow the reverse of the head bolt torquing pattern, in 1/4 turn increments, until the bolts are finger tight.
This may be a little of over-kill, but the cost of new heads warrants this level of care. The heads can be easily cracked if you do not pat attention to this step.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your truck is almost identical to mine. It should weigh in around 6000pounds. Front weight should be around 3600-4000pounds, depending on aftermarket stuff you have on there.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the IP need to come off to replace the cylinder head gasket?

Also whats the weight on a truck like this? I am moving across the country and was thinking of sticking it on one of those Penske trailers (only rated to 4500 lbs) think it would make it? 1750 miles

Yep, gotta get that off to get the intake off to get the head off. Check out Mel's (agnem) headgasket article HERE.

Here is the head torque sequence.
You must be registered for see images

Here is the intake sequence.

Here is the exhaust manifold sequence.

Hope that helps.;Sweet

Heath

On Edit: I moved from Toledo, OH to Kentucky last summer. I too was hoping to just trailer my truck. Neither Penske or U-Haul have a trailer for vehicles this big. I ended up flying my Dad to Toledo to drive one the of the vehicles to Ky for me.

Last edited:

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the weird thing is the leak started after I went to the car wash? Started leaking a lot the other day. Doesn't over heat though. The reason I am thinking about trailering it back is that we want to move back soon. My fiance is pregnant and hates the heat here in New Mexico, we talked about it and both miss the lakes in Michigan and the trees. And we want to move back before we get close to her due date, easier to move now than with a new born. And I want to get back because there are jobs available now. Do you think the trailer would hold up across the country with a beast like that on it?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just scaled an F-250 4x4 and was right around 5500 pounds.
I wouldn't trust running it that far if it were me.

Hot metal doesn't react too well to cold water. I'd be looking for a crack somewhere. Worst case scenario.