Cutting off the soup bowl

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Is there any good reason to cut off the bowl inside the stock air cleaner housing?

Or is the better question; is there any good reason to keep the soup bowl? It looks as if it cuts down on a substantial amount of airflow, presuming that is what we want to happen.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Near as I can tell, the only good things the soup bowl does for you are making it harder to get water in the housing through the bolt hole and preventing some oil splash onto the filter. I cut off mine, made sure I had a good rubber grommet on the bolt, and I do just fine with the small amount of oil I get on my filter. It did make a small power improvement and it sounds a bit better too.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i cut mine off an it helped mine alot but that maybe because my old filter was real dirty so i also done away with that took some 4 inch pvc pipe an a 4 inch filter an made a CAI

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The soupbowl (or restrictor plate on the 6.9's) is an airflow damper designed to help quiet down the intake. There is alot more intake noise when it's gone.

Ford wanted it to help keep noise complaints down, they were trying to market these vehicles to people accustomed to driving nice and quiet gas vehicles.

Taking it out will certainly increase airflow...

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine for one without the soupbowl, I did notice a slight increase in noise, but no power increase in my case.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does make an annoying droaning noise without it in place, though mine is noisier also because I have no duct on the aircleaner intake.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It does make an annoying droaning noise without it in place, though mine is noisier also because I have no duct on the aircleaner intake.

Definately running with soup bowl gone and no duct in place is a very noisy situation.

I tried that for a while and put the duct back on in short order.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i really couldnt tell much difference untill i got my straight pipe. now it sounds like its suckin in my hood haha but i like it!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The soupbowl (or restrictor plate on the 6.9's) is an airflow damper designed to help quiet down the intake. There is alot more intake noise when it's gone.

Ford wanted it to help keep noise complaints down, they were trying to market these vehicles to people accustomed to driving nice and quiet gas vehicles.

Taking it out will certainly increase airflow...

Any easy way to remove that restrictor plate on the 6.9? Without damaging it.

I was thinking finding a 7.3 buttom bowl, but 40$ at the scrap yard.....

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I replaced the filter and cut out the soup bowl and air deflector dealybobber first thing. I didn't drive it again till it had 3" straight pipe out the back and at 3000 rpm the hell if I can hear any sucking from out under the hood. LOL

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance whether there's a Ford top pan for this same size air cleaner that was used on a gasoline engine and so wouldn't have the soup bowl in the first place?

That'd make it easier to see how it sounds with and w/o the soup bowl.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
From what I can tell the air cleaner was actually made by International.

Lids without soup bowl can be had. The bases that had restrictor plates had lids with no soup bowls.

You can remove the restrictor plate to without messing the rest of the air cleaner by carefully drilling out the spot welds.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed my air hammer and the cupped chisel bit and carefully went around the outside of the restrictor plate. that was before blackdog and I started to collect IDI's in search of one with a good engine for his centurion and my f250. at this point there are more aircleaner assemblies in my shop than I know what to do with.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
because at 3k rpm the exhaust starts getting pretty loud im talkin about it im sitting idling then rev it up a little without rackin the pipes its pretty loud

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi diesel john i got my stocker i will never go back to soupbowl and no restrictor plate youres for shipping pm me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online