custom intake manifold?

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen one? I was at my friends shop looking at his sprint car engine and thought it wouldn't be that hard to fab up and intake like the one on that motor. Found some tubing now just need to make the base plates. Do you think trying to get more flow is worth the time? going on a N/A 6.9

Attachments

• injector.jpg
    injector.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 4
  • tubing.jpg
    tubing.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
  • tubing2.jpg
    tubing2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
to my understanding we have enough air flow from the factory. A diesel engine operates a different than a gas rig. We control how much fuel goes into the engine and not air. The engine sucks as much air as it wants. While going bigger better you might think will be better. In this case i think the best thing you can do to an intake manifold for a diesel is pressurize it with a turbo :D

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youd be good with somin like the banks setup for the dmax the big hoss setup
the big red things
they will do the best then add a turbo at some time the pic you posted would be iffy
the stock setup flows great but better flow always helps but if you do port the heads too intake and exhaust
then open the exhaust some

take off youre air cleaner and look down the intake youll see rough surfaces with sharp bends in a ideal world it would all be polished to a mirror finish
the little bumps will cause turbulance which will limit the engines power some but not enough to notice na
but you ever see the muscle car guys get a stock motor fully machined and ported with a good intake and headers? thats a bit above the stock motors ability yet its still all oe parts pretty much

long story short if you take the intake theroy you have and apply it to the whole air pump system (heads valves exhaust and intake) then a noticable gain could be had
and after a turbo is added the gain of the turbo will be more than on a stock motor

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
take off youre air cleaner and look down the intake youll see rough surfaces with sharp bends in a ideal world it would all be polished to a mirror finish
the little bumps will cause turbulance which will limit the engines power some but not enough to notice na

now i am NOT trying to start an argument here. But this just reminded me of when i was in school a year ago in the performance part of motorcycles. We got onto porting and what not. The teacher brought up a good point about the balance of mirror finish and actually having little "dimples"

I guess what im trying to say is How does a golf ball work :D

im not trying to start ANYTHING so dont jump down my neck with WELL 45375 cubed minus 5874578 squared equals a mirror finish is better... just something to pick your brain.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I was gonna say....the rough surfaces can actually help by causing more turbulence; more turbulence equals better atomized fuel...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We don't need any bumps to atomize the fuel... Why??/ Because we inject the diesel into the precups. Nothing is flowing thru the intake. Now a gasser engine shouldn't be smoother than around 300 grit sand paper. If its shiny then the gas will collect on the ports and drps will form. then you have all kinds of crazy issues with big drops of gas igniting in the heads. Its not a fuel and power efficent thing. A diesel can have mirror finish on the ports. all we do is force more air into the cylinders. then add diesel to that. Think about an intake valve with 15 lbs of continous air pressure on it. As that valve opens a big rush of pressureized air gets sucked into the cylinder. As the piston hits the bottom of the stroke the valve cloese. Then your compressing many more times the air that would normally be sucked into the cylinders without a turbo. Add plenty of fuel to burn and you just made lots of hp. Add an intercooler and then add more pressure.... All we need to do is port these heads and exhaust logs so no ruff surfaces are there to slow down the exchange of air in and out of the cylinder. We are not a gasser engine so things are differant for us. Our diesel idi engine will run without an intake on it. Just the length of the head ports are all we need. Holding down the valley pan is going to interesting but... Probably a fabricated plate about 1/4 inch thick will work fine. Fabing one is easy if you have a plasma table...:sly So now how are you going to keep the air clean going into these engines......:dunno I do like the look of the stacks but they are not really going to help us in any way.. They are a way cool look...;Sweet:sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
All that turbulance stuff only matters in a gasser where you are trying to mix fuel and air on the way into the combustion chamber. On a diesel where the fuel is injected directly into the chamber or pre chamber it doesn't make a bit of difference. The smoother the better

And yes, I have done extensive experimentation with turbulance on fuel mileage vehicles ( carbureted gas burners ) inducing extra turbulance to reduce fuel consumption and have had some pretty incredible results. It really does make a difference, but on a diesel, the smoother the intake runners to get the air in the better.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some guy on ebay is selling a turbinater that per mixs up the air before it sees the engine to increase fuel mileage and hp.... Yeah... That works well filling his pockets with someones money.... If just adding something to chop up the air as it enters the turbo the big three would be buying it up... Or the fuel companys would buy it and stash it.....

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a smooth setup is better in diesel you want the best possible flow you are not atomizing anything
that was my point and a good even transition is another thing it you have it neck down or make a sharp bend you loose velocity so basiclly the best setup is that style you posted but thats then 8 air cleaners
no real way to hold down the vally pan
and some big mass sticking out youre hood
so not too practicle plus the loss of a ram air effect has to be considered
being able to add a ram air or turbo is always nice you work it out let us know

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I posted the question into the forum and got no response, I'll try it again.

Why has no one built an intake for the 6.9 that gets rid of the totally goofy "intake hat" for turbo install. Seems to me we are all wrapped up and limited to the position of turbo and the space limits of the stock cast intake. It makes fitting the turbo and plumbing for Intercooler a royal pain in the butt.

If we had a simple tube intake sort of like the 7.3 [late version] it seems to me our options would open up.

As it is, we are tied into what ever ATS or Banks has "given us".. ... there are a lot of different turbos on the market now that weren't when ATS or Banks did anything with the 6.9.

Anyone?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the limiting factor is how much boost we can run and keep the heads on, hi compression and such already. I'm guessing that while it might be a flow improvement, it's probably not enough to justify thousands of dollars of research by Banks or ATS. Not to mention the age of our trucks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some guy on ebay is selling a turbinater that per mixs up the air before it sees the engine to increase fuel mileage and hp.... Yeah... That works well filling his pockets with someones money.... If just adding something to chop up the air as it enters the turbo the big three would be buying it up... Or the fuel companys would buy it and stash it.....

THose things crack me up. Like spinning the air before going through a turbo is going to do a thing cookoo

Adding turbulance to the airflow on a carbureted gasser will make a difference, but those add on cyclone things are useless. THe turbulance has to be where air and fuel are mixing or it is useless

I took a chevy 350 in a rather heavy conversion van rigged it with a carter afb and an edelbrock torker with a series of aluminum plates under the carb with a bunch of half inch holes in them that worked out to the total of the openings of teh primary and secondary and all other ports flowing through the thing so there was no actual restriction, just a redirection having to flow over the surface of the plates to mix it up to fully vapourize teh fuel mixture , nd i was able to re jet that thing down so far that it near doubled the fuel mileage ( from 12 to 23 mpg hwy). With the plates removed it was so lean the thing could not even move out of the driveway

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Back to the original poster, if you want more air, get a Hypermax cowl induction for a nice cold air induction . Getting that nice dense cold air makes a world of difference and the pressure at the windshield shoves it right on in. Your factory intake really is setup for plenty of flow

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked with a guy that can water jet the flanges out of 3/8 alum, as for clean air something like the filter in this pic. cutting the hood and doing the ram air thing.

Attachments

• 4651008562_L.jpg
    4651008562_L.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 9