Current radiator recommendations?

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I only found the FB page too. I spoke with them directly on the phone to set everything up.

It wasn't cheap- right around $1000 which is Rodney Red territory.

OUCH. Did I happen to say ouch? I just checked them out on facebook. It looks like they do nice work I'm sure it's worth every penny. I would have a hard time going that much, but I'm frugal to a fault or should I say cheap.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH. Did I happen to say ouch? I just checked them out on facebook. It looks like they do nice work I'm sure it's worth every penny. I would have a hard time going that much, but I'm frugal to a fault or should I say cheap.

Well, I figure the factory one lasted 25 years, and this one will last at least that long. I've read so many conflicting reviews of the Chinese ones, and I really don't like the idea of replacing every 2-3 years, even if they warranty those.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I figure the factory one lasted 25 years, and this one will last at least that long. I've read so many conflicting reviews of the Chinese ones, and I really don't like the idea of replacing every 2-3 years, even if they warranty those.

I understand completely. I mentioned in an earlier post I had tried a cheap Chinese Radiator and the lower mounts were welded on wrong. I had to send it back. I have had good results with the cheap Chinese unit in my Jeep but everybody gets Lucky sometimes.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand completely. I mentioned in an earlier post I had tried a cheap Chinese Radiator and the lower mounts were welded on wrong. I had to send it back. I have had good results with the cheap Chinese unit in my Jeep but everybody gets Lucky sometimes.
I have a Chinese one in my rockcrawler, mainly because it has a pretty good chance of getting smashed lol

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 core champion rad on my old 87 pickup. Installed it back in 2014, and still going strong today. Never overheated while pulling grades & stayed nice n cool.
Was around $250 if I remember correctly

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you currently have a factory rad with no issues overheating, and you're strictly looking at preventative maintenance, my suggestion is take your time and record price and warranty of each option. One option I suggest you explore is costs associated with cleaning and/or repairing original equipment. Original equipment has far more proven "road miles" than all the aftermarket products added together multiplied by 100...... The only reason for straying from original equipment is price (myself included, as I've experienced Champion). Only you can answer what best fits your financial situation and ability to handle "truck down time" due to failed products and warranty claims. Many folks have experienced excellent luck with aftermarket replacements, others have not. Good Luck!

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the American eagle and I would imagine the champion, the cap is included. I would replace the cap as they are rated for 16 and mine tested at 18. Recommended is 12 or 13.

square1

Reaction score
Had my OEM recored. As @reklund stated earlier, the OEM had lasted 25 years. The shop that recored mine confidently stated it'll outlast me, so I'm hoping for at least 25 out of it ;)
If need be I'd buy a trashed one from a salvage truck and get it recored.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, but it would be a ballpark figure to compare to the prices of Champion and Mishimotos...

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
I was told a recore of my OEM 94 idi 7.3 van radiator was going to run approx $195 -$395 avg. with the re-core shop saying it could more a little more or a little less, (no labor because I'd R&R) but tax @7% would be added, the variable in price to recore, depending on several factors they mentioned. I got the quote over the phone from a local radiator outfit, in business 40+ years. That was a BIG variable in price. I opted to do web research and to measure my current radiator and compare to F250-350's and my van was VERY close in core height x width x depth. So, I finally made my call Champion Cooling direct in California and got the new all aluminum radiator with a new 13lb. Radiator Cap for less than a recore, I think it came to $250 with shipping. The reason I did this is that I ALSO want to eventually re-core my original. I'll put it back in the same box the all aluminum new radiator came in when I do re-core it, then I'll put it in the rafters as a backup. Hope this helps, Dr. Charles.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reason I did this is that I will ALSO eventually re-core my original and I'll put it back in the same box the all aluminum new radiator came in when I do re-core it, then I'll put it in the rafters as a backup.
That's the reason that I have a couple of extra OEM style radiators sitting in my garage.