Cummins rear main seal leaking

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Well I got the Ramcharger on the road with the Cummins installed. I've been driving it for about a week and enjoying the crap out of it. I get allot of looks from people. But now the rear main seal is leaking like a sieve. I've been told that a plugged draft tube will cause crankcase pressure and will cause a rear main seal to leak. I did crush the draft tube during the install but I thought I had fixed it. Has anyone heard of this causing the leak?

If so will the rear main continue to leak after the tube is replaced?

I know that the seal is easy to replace AFTER the transmission is removed but I'm just not feeling like pulling it out yet unless I have to. The bruises that I got laying in my rock driveway are not even gone yet.
It lost over a gallon of oil in about 200 miles of driving. About 25% of that was in heavy traffic at idle speeds.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed that when you CHOOSE to do something to your truck it is always more enjoyable than when you MUST do something to your truck.
Oh well, I should just make it a project and rebuild the G360 while I'm at it. It's about due. I'm also going to change the placing of the spacers on the transmission crossmember in order to lift the back of the transmission about an inch. That will give me a little more clearance between the rear valve cover and the firewall since it will rock the engine forward some. Right now there's only about 3/8 of an inch and lifting the rear of the transmission an inch should give me about 3/4 inch between the valve cover and the firewall.

O.K. Now it's a project instead of a repair. I feel better.

CJ