cummins in a chevy

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Ping towcat, I'm pretty sure there is a guy in my local area that did the swap and towcat was at the meeting when he brought in his converted chebby.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a few of them cruising around. The guy at the local meet really did it the hard way of stuffing a marine 6bt into his CC4x4. The member "packrat" has one in his truck too. I think he calls it the "crossbreed". unlike me, he has a whole collection of slightly off the beaten path trucks ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
justblowin'smoke said:
I'm just wondering if anyone has done this perferably in a 84-87 chevy pickup and if anyone knows where to get motor mounts and adapters
That has got to be one of the silliest ideas ever. ;p :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

rubberfish

Reaction score
towcat said:
smartass.
Who,,,,,me????? LOL
Seriously though, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
As far as I know there isn't a "kit" that one picks up from a parts store.
I think everything would have to be fabbed up. 24vchevy will find this
thread soon enough and be able to shead some more light on that.

Here Towcat, I got you a little something for Christmas.

Attachments

• bud-1.jpg
    bud-1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 123

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
Who,,,,,me????? LOL
Seriously though, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
As far as I know there isn't a "kit" that one picks up from a parts store.
I think everything would have to be fabbed up. 24vchevy will find this
thread soon enough and be able to shead some more light on that.

Here Towcat, I got you a little something for Christmas.
Gee...you're so nice.......
seriously, talked to a new guy by the name of "tiny" this evening and he's going to be doing the cummins conversion thing in the next couple of weeks. Committed to buy his 6.5td from him when it comes out. gave him the linky to your pics. I'm sure you'll be hearing from him. :D

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
As pointed out in another thread, My Crossbreed is actually a Chev/GMC body, on a Dodge carcass.

Kinda like them thar face transplants that has everbudy's dander up.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 91 Dually Crewcab which is the same frame and body and it is a 4x4 as well. I used the original Cummins motor mounts out of the dodge and cut them veerticaly then lowered the engine down and re-welded the mounts. I also had to adjust the angle just slightly to get them to sit on the original chevy mtr mnt towers that i slotted like a ford or dodge mount then came the fun part ... building the new mtr mnt crossmember to clear the oil pan and the front diff .. as well as the tie rods ... I was able to set the engine all the way down into the frame by modifying the front cross member by removing the top flange and re-welding it on backwards and facing forward instead of back ... iI had to bend my brake lines some to clear the A/C compressor and lower the brake proportioning valve ... if I was to do it over I would relocate the valve and lines completely as my A/C pully does make slight contact with my brake lines on hard downshift applications with a trailer ... I also put a 4" charge air cooler into the rad support by removing the vertical support braces and puttiong the dodge red mounts into the chevy rad support. It looks like a factory job .. Almost .. i never got around to painting any of the modifications .. I will be taking the truck apart in the next month or so to lupgrade the 93 cummins to a 98 with very low miles and i plan on taking lots of pics this time ... If you have any more questions just let me know

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a 91 Dually Crewcab which is the same frame and body and it is a 4x4 as well. I used the original Cummins motor mounts out of the dodge and cut them veerticaly then lowered the engine down and re-welded the mounts. I also had to adjust the angle just slightly to get them to sit on the original chevy mtr mnt towers that i slotted like a ford or dodge mount then came the fun part ... building the new mtr mnt crossmember to clear the oil pan and the front diff .. as well as the tie rods ... I was able to set the engine all the way down into the frame by modifying the front cross member by removing the top flange and re-welding it on backwards and facing forward instead of back ... iI had to bend my brake lines some to clear the A/C compressor and lower the brake proportioning valve ... if I was to do it over I would relocate the valve and lines completely as my A/C pully does make slight contact with my brake lines on hard downshift applications with a trailer ... I also put a 4" charge air cooler into the rad support by removing the vertical support braces and puttiong the dodge red mounts into the chevy rad support. It looks like a factory job .. Almost .. i never got around to painting any of the modifications .. I will be taking the truck apart in the next month or so to lupgrade the 93 cummins to a 98 with very low miles and i plan on taking lots of pics this time ... If you have any more questions just let me know

welcome to the site.
we're really into pics here, so please post!;Sweet

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops I didnt notice that the thread was posted in 04 ... MY BAD ... I dont have much for pics on my conversion but i will be upgrading the motor this summer to a 98 12v with only 77585 miles on it ... it has the p type pump and i am going to put a powerstroke turbo behind the cummins turbo to gain a little more boost and to gain the built in exhaust brake on the stroker turbo ... I plan on taking lots of pics of the conversion when i have it all torn down so i can share the mods .... i should be pulling around 500 hp out of this when i get it done ... I am then planning on puttiong a 613 fuller tranny behind it so it will handle the engine torque ... hopefully the dana 80 will hold up after i get done ... If not i will put tandom drive under it to split the torque between the two axles.... LOL If you like this conversion you would probably like my four runner with a 2.2 liter isuzu diesel with a turbo that gets around 50 MPG hi-way and 38 city ,.. still wanting to add a gear vendor O/D to this one ... I have a small early g- vendor that needs rebuilt ...
Thanks for the welcome ....

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lowered the engine in the original dodge gen 1 mounting brackets and slotted the frame mounts in the chevy and it bolted right up ... had to modify the front cross-member and took out a football shaped piece from the frame rail and hammered the flange down and re welded it to accommodate the lower radiator hose coming from the engine and then the lower dodge hose fit right on to the chevy rad. Then i custom built a cross-member between the frame mounts to fit around the cummins oil pan and clear the axle and tie rod .. i had to tip my engine slightly toward the passenger side to get clearance by the frame on both sides by the power-steering pump and the A/C compressor... I was able to get my engine set extremely low like it should be and even centered the dodge fan in the original GM fan shroud ... I need to get some pics posted on here cuz it would give people a good idea on what can actually be done and i put an 02' air cooler in front of the original GM rad. but that meant that i had to change my A/C condenser ... I used one out of a 94 Peter built and it fit very well and cleared my hood latch ... ( my first attempt with an A/C condenser got hooked by the latch and blew out my a/c system ... about a $300 mistake...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online