creaks and squeaks...

sootman73

Reaction score
Does anyone elses' trucks squeak and creak when the body twists? well mine always did that before but now it doesn't stop. little bumps make the thing so loud you cant have a conversation with the radio off. its so annoying! i cant tell if its coming from the dash or the body.:dunno:confused: where is it coming from? i cant take it anymorecookoocookoo

if anyone has got any ideas...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My 87 does that and it's due to the fact, that the core support mounts are rusted out. The front clip moves so much, that it cracked the windshield from all the flexing.

Check the mounts, where they are supposed to connect to the frame.

I was lucky enough to find a core support from a 90. I paid $50 for it. Still haven't gotten it installed yet though.. :dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
oh is that what it is? i think mine is rusted out i believe! im def gonna look and get a new one quick cuz its bad! what does it take to replace? i know my friend took his f150 apart and his entire front clip dropped two inches cuz it was rusted so bad!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I haven't done mine yet, but was told it wasn't impossible to do. Wish I could help you out there... Are the mounts themselves rusted out?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my CC creaks and squeaks but i attribute it to the long wheelbase and big cab twisting, and its age. it's not as bad as the chattering speedo cable. i usually drown it all out with the stereo.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
No squeks just thing pinging noise from the front driver side. Kinda sounds like a rock in the hub cap. I have yet to figure out what it is. drive me nuts so i turn the radio up till I can't hear it.cookooLOL

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of noise i have found to be coming from the rivets that hold front crossmember to frame, and radius arm brackets to frame. body bushings too.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get all sorta weird creaks and squeaks, mostly a squeak cyclical in nature, between 35-60 .. haven't driven the thing in two weeks. I think that is right.

Black dawg

Reaction score
my truck made noise like that for years, kinda sounds like the dash or the body. mine turned out to be the fender bolts at the back of the fender by the hinges were a little loose

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine used to do that and when I took the front clip off I found cracks in the cab front cowl area behind the fenders. I welded up everything and no more noises. The cracks were caused by the previous core support being bad and wrenching the fender mountings.

the red area is where the cracks were.

Also my buddy used to work at Carmenita Ford and they had to weld the crossmembers in the front to make happy customers. The popping rivet noises made people nervous. TSB somewhere.
We welded mine and no more "thunk" at your feet when turning.

Attachments

• crack pics.JPG
    crack pics.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 34

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ-

Got some more info or pics on the crossmember welding? My 92 is starting to have popping sounds when turning and when I hit bumps in the road. I'm thinking my TTB bushings and leaf spring bushings are cashed out, but wouldn't mind trying other stuff first.

My interior makes TONS of noise. I plan on gutting it this spring and giving it a thorough coating of peel-n-seal and some new screws to tighten everything up.

Ryan

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
basically anywhere you can get to on the front crossmember and weld it to the frame rails. I will look for a pic .

sootman73

Reaction score
well after 6 or more months of this bugging me i finally found what it was and it ****** me off that i didn't find it sooner! one day i leaned against the drivers side front fender and it made the squeaky sound. i thought huh... i turned around and pushed with my hand and the thing moved in 1/2"! i tightened the bolts under the hood for both fenders and wow no noise! i cant believe it was that simple!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online