Crazy IDI build ideas

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome @IDIoit
Do you have your motor builds detailed anywhere that you can link me that I can read?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 1:20 into the video the guy pulls off what looks like the shut off solenoid wire for each pump for a few seconds each. What do you think he's trying to accomplish? And is he doing exactly what you say shouldn't be done except he's doing it for a short time and only at idle?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like hes just making sure both pumps are contributing fuel at idle, not really how I would set it up I would think it would be much easier to run one pump for idle and set the other pumps idle speed at 5-600 rpms so its defueling at regular idle speed and only one pump is doing the idle work, it would make it a lot easier to tune...
Those look to be basically stock pumps so they cant really do any harm to themselves at that fueling amount, I see they are still running the old style nose cones with the restrictor orfice on those pumps and looks to be 290 heads so even maxed out I doubt they are pushing more than 75-80cc peak with those restrictions. You do that on a modified pump pushing much more fuel than stock (transfer pump reg adjusted further in from stock to account for the extra volume to keep within the stock tp pressure spec) the transfer pressure will spike and the heads will seize. Im not saying that it cannot be done, Ive got plans for a dual pump setup that should work perfectly, but it will never be a streetable setup, better for sled pulling and drag racing especially since it would be very hard to fit a sizable turbo and both pumps under a stock hood. Clutches require slipping, injection pumps require specific timing so disengaging the drive is a no go.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i attempted this fuel system on my finished block, but the vehicle didnt need more than a DB pump can provide.
so, my next build is going to be p pumped.
custom ip gear cover, and some other supporting stuff
idit block in the shop.
im talking 5-6k in the next rotating assembly.
ive already got the gear for the pesp.
heads are done
this is going into a 1/2 ton 41 ford pick up diesel gasser
tube chassis, and 31 x 18's with a 4 speed

its not about power when building a monster, its about power to weight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Why do you need all that when the finned fuel pump block off plate is all you need for 300hp?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need all that when the finned fuel pump block off plate is all you need for 300hp?
Ha.. I thought cause the P pump was originally for that block but he ended up just using the db2 and p pump project went to another block?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
but it will never be a streetable setup,
You spelled it wrong. it should be spelled as "streeteable". Either way you spell it, the dual pump would do better on the street that the concrete filled block that you'll be using this on.:joker:
it would be very hard to fit a sizable turbo and both pumps under a stock hood
Since you drive the Shop Truck around *******, I don't see how hood clearance would bother you.;Poke:joker:
Maybe you're just talking about us "normal" people with the above statements?:dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome @IDIoit
Do you have your motor builds detailed anywhere that you can link me that I can read?

as i said before the engine pictured is not going p pumped.
i dont need all that fuel for an off road toy. im not racing this one... much

the engine shown is a basic .020 over IDIT.
i did shave the pistons down a bit due to boost.
fully studded, and heads machined with new valves. 910 springs + .030
pretty basic stuff.
this is in a offroad ranchero i built.
i may have some of the specs in there.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/a-project-i-call-thee-wee-*******.70696/

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i said before the engine pictured is not going p pumped.
i dont need all that fuel for an off road toy. im not racing this one... much

the engine shown is a basic .020 over IDIT.
i did shave the pistons down a bit due to boost.
fully studded, and heads machined with new valves. 910 springs + .030
pretty basic stuff.
this is in a offroad ranchero i built.
i may have some of the specs in there.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/a-project-i-call-thee-wee-*******.70696/
I heard you.. You outlined 7k in cost on the non p pumped motor and I was curious what you did bottom end and such but I'll scroll through your thread. Thanks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IDIoit (or anyone else), is there a power level where the main studs and girdle are recommended? I've never thought about using them on a IDI engine before, but I'm wondering now that I'm planning a higher HP engine build. It's a long way in the future, but it's always best to have all the info you can get. Especially since I have no previous experience in doing this. The highest power build that I've done before was a 460 that went into the 1975 F250 Ex cab I used to have. That was basically an overhaul since the cylinders were only honed. It was a car engine (they had better performing heads). The heads were ported, I used a stock cam, and the only other thing that I did extra was to install a straight up timing set. In fact, it took so much to break in the engine that I got fed up with the lack of power and running hot that I got rid of the truck before the engine was broken in. The up side was that I traded it and $500 my first IDI truck.:Thumbs Upthe down side is pictured below:(. I sure do miss that truck. It was pretty good looking before this.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that's the rub. Sucks getting old and waking up in the middle of the morning and not being able to get back to sleep because you have IP timing on the brain.
While it's true that im not as young as I used to be, I'm actually from the future. It's Saturday afternoon as I type this from a little island in the Pacific...
Im only 31, but glad to know what I have to look forward to. Lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard you.. You outlined 7k in cost on the non p pumped motor and I was curious what you did bottom end and such but I'll scroll through your thread. Thanks.

600 for .020 pistons
500 to shave and coat the pistons.
250 for total seal 2nd fire ring.
500 for girdle
500 for studs
400 for cam
600 in valves
200 for springs
900 for roller rockers
250 for pushrods
140 for lifters
200 gasket set
1600 for machine work with bearings

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome that pump is half the size of the engine.

86bullnose4x4

Reaction score
Hello I saw this thread on a Google search. I'm new to oil burners. But I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on their IDI builds.
I'm planning on doing a restoration and some performance upgrades to my 86 6.9.
Eventually

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I saw this thread on a Google search. I'm new to oil burners. But I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on their IDI builds.
I'm planning on doing a restoration and some performance upgrades to my 86 6.9.
Eventually

I wouldn’t call my stuff crazy and I wouldn’t follow most things I do unless it’s an explicit tutorial because I like breaking stuff and learning, but you can look at a T04Z that I’m putting on a 7.3 under my name. It’s running. It’s a stock bottom end. It’s not gonna last too long.

@IDIoit has a twin turbo if you look up his threads with an engine built right

I think we are the two “highest performance” current tinkerings on this forum

86bullnose4x4

Reaction score
I wouldn’t call my stuff crazy and I wouldn’t follow most things I do unless it’s an explicit tutorial because I like breaking stuff and learning, but you can look at a T04Z that I’m putting on a 7.3 under my name. It’s running. It’s a stock bottom end. It’s not gonna last too long.

@IDIoit has a twin turbo if you look up his threads with an engine built right

I think we are the two “highest performance” current tinkerings on this forum

Alright I'll look into that t04z. And idiot's thread.
Welcome. Definitely plan on head studs if you're going to add a turbo which it sounds like you are.
And I was thinking head studs and a main girdle kit as well if there's any still being made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat