Crazy IDI build ideas

Duke84

Reaction score
Working on a crazy build idea for my 7.3 idi. I am looking to push my IDI to around 800 hp and run at 5000 rpm.

Why? Because I can.

I have all the top end stuff figured out that was the easy part. What I need to know now is about the crankshaft. I have seen and found lots of info but nothing that will give a solid answer to this question, at least not that I have been able to find.

Will a 7.3 psd crankshaft properly mount in an IDI block?
I know flywheel is different and rods are wider at bottom not a problem.

Duke84

Reaction score

Duke84

Reaction score
I won't be leaving anything stock. Port and polish intake and heads, larger valves, good cam and roller lifters, roller tip rockers. To start Exhaust will be headers and engine N/A. Eventually I will flip the Headers and custom build mounts to run a parallel turbo set up with 4 inch dual Exhaust with a 3 inch balance pipe under bell housing. Engine will be balanced at 7,000 rpm and blueprinted. Double intercooler set up 3 inch tubes feeding into a 5.5 inch collector on intake with a rig saver incase of runaway. Only thing I'm stuck with right now is what crank to use. I'd like to use psd crank and rods if the crank is compatible with the block.

P.S. this will be a daily driver lmao

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah those are my pumps, the 150 is really only good for low 400s, you’ll need over 300cc to reach your hp goals. You’ll need a custom big bore/big stroke pump to be pushing that kind of fuel.

Duke84

Reaction score
Yeah those are my pumps, the 150 is really only good for low 400s, you’ll need over 300cc to reach your hp goals. You’ll need a custom big bore/big stroke pump to be pushing that kind of fuel.

That will come when I build the parallel turbo set up for now I just need to know about usability of psd crank in the IDI block

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to, strength wise the idit and psd crank is very similar and guys are running stock cranks in 1500hp 7.3s, I’ve never seen an IDI crank fail due to torque, always been rods that fail first.

Duke84

Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to, strength wise the idit and psd crank is very similar and guys are running stock cranks in 1500hp 7.3s, I’ve never seen an IDI crank fail due to torque, always been rods that fail first.

Thanks for the info. I seen in another thread that the psd rod bearings fit the idit rods. Would that be a feasible upgrade for rod bearings or just a waste? Also planning on using forged I beam rods as those were what I always used in my gasser builds, or is there a better option?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As for the rods, I'm not sure about this. I do know that the Turbo rods are stronger and may, possibly, have been forged. With the lack of bottom end issues on these engines, the wonderful oil pumps on these, and the thickness of the rod/main bearings these have, I don't think that there would be much of a benefit to the PSD bearings. Take the above with a grain of salt because I don't know much about high horsepower IDI building.

Duke84

Reaction score
This is my first diesel that I've owned and first build like this. I have done some mild upgrades and rebuilds on others but nothing like this. My experience with this kind of work is building gassers. I have spent weeks going through forums and found answers to most of my questions and curiosities without looking like too big of an idiot lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My experience with this kind of work is building gassers. I have spent weeks going through forums and found answers to most of my questions and curiosities without looking like too big of an idiot lol
Don't worry too much about the questions. High HP IDIs is not a topic that most of us are really familiar with. I learn something every time there's another thread about this subject. Plus, I am interested. A friend of mine was talking about building a first gen 7.3PSD. I told him that if he did that, I'd build a IDI. I don't know about him, but I still plan on my build. I also know a few Cummins fanboys who need to have their eyes opened a little bit.
As for the gas engines, the basics are pretty much the same as with a diesel. The ONLY way to get more power out of an engine is to burn more fuel. In order to do that, you also need to increase the oxygen (or air) so that you can burn all of the extra fuel. A BIG advantage to the IDIs is that the bottom end is really pretty strong already.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 160cc peak pump going on my build.
I am confident that the rods are first to break on the IDI, and that the crank would probably be last.
I don't really know what's going to break after the rods are beefed up. Or long term.
Alot of unknown like @IDIBRONCO said.

I have two motors.
First ones gonna blow, but we will see what happens.
Second one is gonna get PSD rods and Turbo pistons. Not really sure what's gonna happen after that.

We will see in the coming months.
I can give you more details on anything if you're interested further.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm going to stay with the Turbo rods and pistons. With my HP goals, there's no reason that they shouldn't last. I thought about the PSD rods, but I can't really see the need. While this won't be a DD, it's not going to be a dragster either so I don't need to push the HP envelope. I'm planning to have more HP available than a clutch will easily handle, so I'm thinking about a John Woods transmission and a stand alone controller eventually. I have no idea where that money will come from. One step at a time I guess.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My logic is, it's going to the machine shop anyway to tank and check the heads and cylinders and any necessary machining. Even if I got turbo pistons, rods and balancer, I would still balance the rotating assembly. An IDIT and IDI crank are the same but weighted differently from the factory.
This isn't to say you wouldn't be OK swapping those three things and not balancing the assembly, cause people do that without issues. But do people do that on the power we are talking? Probably not tested much.

At this point for me, If it's already there and being balanced might as well do PSD rods.

Clutch, yep what you said.
I like southbend. They peak at 425hp/900tq, shy of our 500hp.
Im going to do it though and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online