Cranks but will not start

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 94 idi is sitting at the car wash broken down. I drove it there and it ran fine. I went to leave and the truck just cranks but does not attempt to catch. After cranking I push the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing and I am not getting anything coming out? Is this normal or does it point to the lift pump? Could it be glow plug related? Its about 60 degrees out right now so I would not think the glow plugs would be an issue today. Any help guys? I hope to get this thing home this evening with out needing to tow it. I have a full tank of fuel. Thanks.

my truck is a 94 idi, automatic factory ats turbo 093

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should it squirt fuel after I cranked it over or only while cranking? I was by my self so I was only able to test it after it had been cranked over but not while cranking.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it home last night on my trailer. I have not had a chance to do anything with it yet. What else should I check before I order a lift pump? If I do need a lift pump is the recommended replacement the electric one that a forum member sells?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Genlightning is no longer selling the dura lifts.
But you can find them online, they just cost a little more.
I would go electric. Personally I got by with a cheapo mr gasket. I bought the gas engine one. She lasted a good 5 years or so.
Try holding it open while you crank first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am charging the batteries now. I'll try holding the valve open while cranking this evening. If I do get a dura-lift pump is there a specific model I need? I was reading over the tech article on here but I don't see a model number listed.

gandalf

Reaction score
I am charging the batteries now. I'll try holding the valve open while cranking this evening. If I do get a dura-lift pump is there a specific model I need? I was reading over the tech article on here but I don't see a model number listed.

Pictures often work better than words for many of us. Here are two pics of the pump which Genlightning sold me. The numbers you need are there. As stated, there are probably several models which will work, but this is the one which many of us have (assuming that Genlightning sold only the single model).

You must be registered for see images attach

I quite happy with my pump;Sweet, and haven't heard any real complaints about them.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures often work better than words for many of us. Here are two pics of the pump which Genlightning sold me. The numbers you need are there. As stated, there are probably several models which will work, but this is the one which many of us have (assuming that Genlightning sold only the single model).

I quite happy with my pump;Sweet, and haven't heard any real complaints about them.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

*a little follow up* I can't find much on the part number that is on your pump, but it seems that the FAC-40222 has the same stats.

Last edited:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally had a chance to check for fuel pressure at the filter mount this morning. When my wife cranked the truck I held the Schrader valve open and fuel started squirting out, and before I could tell her to stop cranking the truck started!! WTH? So my lift pump seems to be working...what does this point to? Possibly a failing battery? The truck seemed to crank fine the other day, but by the third time I tried to start it, it would barely turn over. But the first time I tried to start it, it seemed to spin fine and I tried it for probably at least 5 seconds straight and it would not even try to start. Any ideas?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got all the air out. Lol

Are you joking? If not, what would cause air to get in the lines? I had just driven the truck for about 30 minutes with no problems. It sat for about an hour then I tried to start it, and that's when this problem came to light. I have never had this issue before.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No, I was not.
Somewhere you have an air leak.
You may not see fuel wetness. But check along the fuel lines.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I was not.
Somewhere you have an air leak.
You may not see fuel wetness. But check along the fuel lines.

I assume I should only be looking for leaks on the suction side (from the tank to the injection pump)? Are there any common spots for leaks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online