crankcase pressure question

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
So yeah im a ******* sometimes.:puke: i just drove across town, about 15 miles with no crankcase ventilation. I checked my blowby pressure this week with the gauge from work. According to the gauge all is good, but i left the cdr line blocked off but put the oil fill cap back on. All the pressure in the crankcase looked for an exit, and the dipstick tube was that exit. Noticed constant light grey/white smoke behind me. Wasnt a thick cloud but a decent fog all the same. I was sure i blew a head gasket and it was coolant. Got to my buddies place, popped the hood, and saw a new ford crate engine. Gloss black top to bottom! Not paint, oil. Two quarts to be exact.

Anyone know if this is a normal symptom of a plugged or blocked cdr? Did i hurt anything?

Punk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any leaks under the truck, I tend to think you're okay. But, when I ran my engine with too little crankcase ventilation (had a "breathing" oil cap and no other exit for the crankcase ventilation) I ended up developing leaks from both my front and rear main seals. :(

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yea, CDR hole is about 1 inch and that dipstick hole is only 1/4 inch . not near enough to let the pressure out, it's got to find a way out somewhere and it's going to be the path of least resistance, by by oil seals -cuss With any luck at all you didn't do it for long enough to damage them permanantly, but don't count on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online