cracked heads

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok some of you know I have a build thread in the conversion section. The 6.5 I have has cracked heads between the valves on some of the cylinders. I was going to buy new heads but heard that new ones will still crack. I have also been told that I shouldn't worry about my cracked heads they are fine.If I buy new heads this project will be pushed back a long ways. The only thing that was wrong with motor was blown head gasket on #8. Also bad cam bearings. So I am asking for advise what would you do? Who has ran cracked heads and how long? Any problems? Thanks in advance.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you could get used heads.
I thought I heard most all of them are cracked, if you were to actually look. Kinda like the main webs. (I could very well be wrong)

How bad are they cracked?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea The junk yard just got another 6.5 in and its a 93 with a new ip I will be getting that for a spare. I think I'm going to pull the heads and see if they are cracked too I'm sure they are but will see. My heads are just cracked between the seats if you dont look hard enough you won't see them very fine.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have run these heads cracked many times. You will have a hard time finding a used set that doesnt have cracks between the valves. I have always ran them if the cracks didnt go through the valve seat. Even ran them that way a few times.

If you are worried about the cracks, get the heads vac checked

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run these heads cracked many times. You will have a hard time finding a used set that doesnt have cracks between the valves. I have always ran them if the cracks didnt go through the valve seat. Even ran them that way a few times.

If you are worried about the cracks, get the heads vac checked

Ok well atleast I know it can be done. Anyone know about the new heads. They say they are stronger I will post a link.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't want it to be those Chinese heads that are floating around

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all of you on this forum think I will not have issues with my cracked heads I will use them. I will be having them rebuilt and the Kline kit installed. This motor won't be working really hard truck only weighs 5500 and won't tow anything.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well these heads are junk. The seats are cracked and the cracks on the prechambers are close to the fire rings.