Couple questions

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The grommet used on the CDR style valve cover is very different than the one used in the valley pan on NA engines. Just an FYI.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
justin I have a good one you can have, it is a gm one but looks the same.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM ones are the same or close enough but they won't bolt in the same place as the ones on N/A engines. It seems like they would go in the same place where the Ford one went in the ATS valve cover or factory turbo valve cover. I'm running one from a 6.5 cause it was easier to plumb in to the crankcase gear adapter than the Ford one. It seems to work ok.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I looked in my box of stuff and I have my old CDR from when we did the turbo install....might just use that one for a while :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
there ya go,;Sweet

Yup ;Sweet. I remember you talking about the CDR grommit when it came out, how usually they are all brittle, but mine was in good shape. That leads me to believe that my CDR might be fairly new (my extra one that is) ;Sweet

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hm, well this was an informative posting. I think I need to get this taken care of as well. Seems like a straight forward fix. As far as a RDT is concerned, if it's not plumbed into the exhaust is that an issue? I don't have the tools to do that at the moment. Also, low on funds....

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i found an rdt to be a little sloppy.

I wire welded a 3/4inch elbow onto the timing gear cover plate (that you use to access the bolts that attach the ip to the timing gear). just don't get it too hot or the plate will warp and leak.
ran a 3/4inch hose to the old non-functioning cdr into the intake.

works well, no oil loss at all over 5k miles (ok maybe a cup, but I've got no leaks).

Drew

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sam, it's not necessary to plumb it into the exhaust. We ran our first one into the atmosphere from under the truck for a while, just didnt like all the green peace people walking up to us and complaining all the time. If you can put up with that for a while without shooting someone then I'd say you wont have an issue with it. It smells kinda nasty, but its a whole lot better for your engine than running all that crap back through the turbo and need I mention what it does to the head gaskets and pistons if too much goes through it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the reason why the CDR should be changed every so often.
the pics were originally posted by Argve when he owned was beating to death the "Enterprise" on a daily manner.
he disected the old CDR for educational purposes
enjoy.

Attachments

• CDR01.jpg
    CDR01.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CDR03.jpg
    CDR03.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 14

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What it looks like we're seeing is that there is some plasticy stuff inside the CDR that gets eaten up by the oil and heat after awhile and that's why it needs replacement...right?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hm, not too many green peace folks around here.... just a bunch of hillbillies. I guess I could just plug up the hole where the CDR goes into my intake and take the hose I have on it now and feed it down and out. Temporary fix till I get it into the exhaust which in reality does nothing but make it look neater because I have a free flowing exhaust, hehe. Thanks for the info though, ya'll!