Couple of questions

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I correct to understand that running a little ATF through the fuel system will clean up the IP and injectors? If so, would running some through while I'm running straight #1 fuel be harmful or beneficial?

I remember years ago, some guys were using a/c compressors to provide on board air for their Jeeps, seems there was a certain style that worked better than most and I thought it was a Ford part. Has anyone run a set up like this? I have two IDI Fords, one with a/c and the other without. I may be going to look at a parts pickup this weekend that has a/c, and my thought is to swipe the compressor and fit up an on board air system for my pickup that doesn't have a/c. Thanks.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
rumored that running atf in fuel will help clean the fuel system and lubricate the pump. i do run it. but more as a fuel and a additive.

the compressor you are looking for is a York a/c compressor. do a searchonline for the modifications neeeded to do to the pump. very easy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above it true. When the fuel filter is changed we tell members to fill the filter with atf. Then run the engine till the engine sounds differant. The sound means its running on almost staight atf.. No harm will be done. Shut it off and let it soak overnite. that allows the detergents in the atf to clean up tha fuel system. then start it and run it like its stolen. That will clean out any crap in the pump or injecters...

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above it true. When the fuel filter is changed we tell members to fill the filter with atf. Then run the engine till the engine sounds differant. The sound means its running on almost staight atf.. No harm will be done. Shut it off and let it soak overnite. that allows the detergents in the atf to clean up tha fuel system. then start it and run it like its stolen. That will clean out any crap in the pump or injecters...

Follow on question to this one. Can I perform this same procedure on my '97 PSD?