Couple leaks after start up

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions. My truck is an 85 cc 6.9 dually with an auto c6. I started it this morning when it was 25 degrees out, and walked in the house. Now there is a puddle about the size of a baseball, maybe a little bigger right under the driver side of the radiator but just under the cross member where the axle would be if it were 4x4. It is atf fluid. Also there was a puddle under the passenger side of the radiator that was anti freeze. Just because it's cold or possibly something else? Thanks in advance

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, rubber hoses will harden especially if it is cold and they are old. Sometimes they won't seal properly. I would replace any original hoses and make sure all clamps are nice and tight. You will have to look underneath truck to find these leaks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ATF fluid would from the trans oil cooler lines to the radiator or possibly from the power steering pump. Antifreeze is any ones guess.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, when I open the oil fill cap while idling, I hear a great grinding sound from the oil fill and it almost sounds like a whistling or high pitched gear grinding sound. Any idea or is this normal

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil fill cap goes to the pan and not the oil filter. I have no idea what you are hearing. It is not normal.

Dave

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High pitched sounds are from the turbo. But I can't understand why you would hear it from the oil filler???

Dave

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering, it sounds like great noise from the IP, but it just seemed louder than normal. Idk I have never heard it or paid attention I guess. My buddy has the same truck and his just isn't as noticeable

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the fluid is leaking from bottom of power steering pump, or real close to it. But it hasn't happened until now, but it was also colder than normal

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
C2 pumps blow for the leaking, among other things. I notice that our power steering gearboxes tend to leak more when it's cold. The output seals get old and damage/bend easily after front end/steering trama.

I was so excited that the gearbox on the Enterprise didn't leak, then I got hit on the driver's side last month and that was the end of that. Not going to rebuild it like I did Bruiser's (still leaks), just going to replace it later. Running Lucas in it right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online