Could the Fuel filter light signal a bad lift pump?

Reaction score
I had the fuel filter light on my truck blinking at idle, when I rev the truck up it would shut off. I changed my filter, and it seems to be doing the same thing after a few days....I cant believe that the new fram I installed would be clogged allready, as ive been running pump diesel....would a bad lift pump cause this? Btw, I have the stock lift pump. thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes it could... What your seeing is a vacuum in the fuel supply side so maybe the lift pump is going bad. Best way to know for sure is install a pressure gauge on the filter housing.... You can remove the filter pressure sender and install a gauge there. Its 1/8th inch pipe threads....:sly

Reaction score
Thank you! what is the pressure I should be looking for, and what is the general consensus on what to replace it with....electric or another stock style?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pressures we usually see are 4 to 6 lbs. anything up to 8 is ok but.... Much more and you will be changing the injection pump internal timing 1/4 degree for every additional lb of pressure.... not a thing you want to be doing either.... The Holey Red electric pump works for many here but their quality has slipped these last few years... The electric trancold carrier pump is what many are changing to because they will draw fuel from low and pump it high. These pumps are found on the semi truck trailers in the refrigeration units. Those are mounted high on the front of the trailers and the fuel tank is way back under the trailers. They work great. I have one now.... The Carter electric pump is another great pump for electric too.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Try finding a BBF or a BBC block off plate....I can't remember which one it is that works. If you are handy with cardboard, make a template and cut one out of 1/4 plate and drill the holes....and bolt it in place of the lift pump with some RTV as a sealant.

Reaction score
Whell I went ahead and installed an electric pump today. WOW! It is so nice to be able to turn on the key and just hold the schrader valve open on the fuel filter to prime the system! It also got rid of my blinking fuel filter light!

Still wont pull fuel from my front tank though......